Harman PF100 with no back-up...problems/advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nateschisler

Apr 8, 2011
Central OH
After the last back-breaking straw from the propane man, I had them come pick-up our tank. I currently have a Trane XE-90 propane furnace with a Carrier A/C unit mounted on top. Sitting right beside it, yet to be installed, is my brand new Harman PF100 and 4 tons of pellets on plastic pallets in my basement. I am seriously contemplating yanking the propane unit out and setting the Harman in it's place. My Harman has a bigger blower, which is more appropriately sized for my house since we have added on. Plus I figure for the cost to get baffles and plumb the Harman in parrallel, I could simply have my HVAC guy take out the Trane and slide in the Harman (with some modification of course).

Anybody using one of these units as their sole Heating and Cooling supply? Any unforseen issues or concerns or regrets? Obviously the security of having a back-up is nice...but it's probably more likely that my 15 y.o. propane furnace will act up before my barnd new Harman does.

My opinion - don't burn yer bridges. Not gonna cost much more to tie the Harman in than it would to take out the Trane. Put in a 100# tank for backup. I haven't burned oil in 3 years, got a 25 yr old furnace sitting right beside the Revolution, and 200 gallons of dead dinosaur in a tank in the cellar, I might want to burn some tomorrow, or next week, or..........

I run a pf100 through the winter and wouldn't trade it for the world. It works great heating my approx 2000 sq ft house. It is tied into ductwork that is shared with a propane furnace, with a damper cutting off the plenum on the propane side. I would definitely recommend leaving the propane unit in place and functional. I leave my propane t-stat set to 50, with my pf100 t-stat set to wherever my wife decides to put it. The pf100 is a great unit, however, there will be nuisance shutdowns. Several factors will lead to these shutdowns, most are controllable by you, the homeowner, but some are not. It is nice to have the liquid fueled furnace there as a backup to take over if need be. Like hoss said, get a small tank of lp for backup and then you won't have to worry about shutdowns. Also, if you ever think you might be away for an extended time, the propane unit will come in handy.

Congrats on your newest purchase, I think you will be very happy with your investment.

Ohio law says you must have a Primary "non-solid" fuel furnace (i.e.-LP, Nat Gas, Electric, Fuel Oil) Sucks I know, but if you ever go to sell your home???? I had a Trane XV-90 w/Central also, installed it about 6 yrs back. Supposed to be Super Efficient!!!! What a joke. I spent around $4,000 a year in propane. About $1,000 a yr in pellets now.....

Good luck with that furnace (The Harman, duh). Install back-draft dampers and let her rip. Your gonna love the pellet thing. How did you get the 4 ton of pellets home? Your working your way to "Pig Status" real quick......

P.S.- Where abouts in Ohio you live? What kind of pellets you get? And Where? I am right in the corner of Ashland, Lorain, and Medina counties.. Next door nieghbors are Amish.

I have a back up pellet stove to my pellet stove. I have a furnace, but it hasn't been ran in so long I seriously doubt it would function in a crisis without some work. A back up pellet stove is much easier. I also have back up wall mount vent free propane heaters if needed and I have a few kerosene heaters. There is also a huge woodburner in the basement that I could rig up in a pinch. The insurance man wouldn't let me use it without a $2000 chimney. I only have about 80 gallons of propane on hand at anytime. It is mostly for the water heater.

Your furnace is paid for so leaving it in is easier then removing it. If you desperatley want it out, get a back up wall mount vent free propane heater to satisfy legal/zoning issues and get a pellet stove back up to your pellet furnace. You sure don't want to be without heat on a bone chilling -40 degree night with 40 mph winds.

Ohio law says you must have a Primary “non-solid†fuel furnace (i.e.-LP, Nat Gas, Electric, Fuel Oil) Sucks I know, but if you ever go to sell your home????

@Dexter - I assume you're referring to Ohio insurance regs or something? Where I live, there is no building code...so as long as the insurance man will put his stamp of approval I'm happy. They are OK with my pellet furnace - they may not like the wood burner I have in the garage, waiting to be installed. I live near Lancaster, SE of Columbus about 30 miles.

I have 4 tons of EasyHeat Pellets. There is a new manufacturer somewhere West of Columbus. I bought them through Sally's Hearth and Home in Pataskala through their Early-Buy program for 179/ton. Brought them home on a gooseneck pulled with a buddy's Duramax, also had my furnace on it. Rigged-up a slide to take them straight from the trailer into the basement, went real fast. Since I had the setup, I also went down to the feed mill and bought a skid of softener salt...I'm stocked, and stoked!

My main reason for wanting to pull the propane unit was because of the blower capacity of my Harman. I ran a pair of 250 cfm booster fants to my addition, one pushing out and one pulling back. The furnace doesn't push the A/C upstairs real well - not exactly a model of efficient duct sizing if you ask me. I have a 5 amp sail switch that kicks on the booster fans...it's actually kinda sweet. I'm thinking of just adding a few more fans to push A/C upstairs and living with the Trane as opposed to trying to upgrade the blower on it. Just seemed like a simpler deal to pull the old propane unit out. We're putting built-ins with a fireplace in our centrally located living room and probably going to put in a pellet insert that would be our back-up. Originally assumed we would put in gas logs or something...but the propane man has really chapped my you-know-what.

FOTONATE said:
Ohio law says you must have a Primary “non-solid†fuel furnace (i.e.-LP, Nat Gas, Electric, Fuel Oil) Sucks I know, but if you ever go to sell your home????

@Dexter - I assume you're referring to Ohio insurance regs or something? Where I live, there is no building code...so as long as the insurance man will put his stamp of approval I'm happy. They are OK with my pellet furnace - they may not like the wood burner I have in the garage, waiting to be installed. I live near Lancaster, SE of Columbus about 30 miles.

I have 4 tons of EasyHeat Pellets. There is a new manufacturer somewhere West of Columbus. I bought them through Sally's Hearth and Home in Pataskala through their Early-Buy program for 179/ton. Brought them home on a gooseneck pulled with a buddy's Duramax, also had my furnace on it. Rigged-up a slide to take them straight from the trailer into the basement, went real fast. Since I had the setup, I also went down to the feed mill and bought a skid of softener salt...I'm stocked, and stoked!

My main reason for wanting to pull the propane unit was because of the blower capacity of my Harman. I ran a pair of 250 cfm booster fants to my addition, one pushing out and one pulling back. The furnace doesn't push the A/C upstairs real well - not exactly a model of efficient duct sizing if you ask me. I have a 5 amp sail switch that kicks on the booster fans...it's actually kinda sweet. I'm thinking of just adding a few more fans to push A/C upstairs and living with the Trane as opposed to trying to upgrade the blower on it. Just seemed like a simpler deal to pull the old propane unit out. We're putting built-ins with a fireplace in our centrally located living room and probably going to put in a pellet insert that would be our back-up. Originally assumed we would put in gas logs or something...but the propane man has really chapped my you-know-what.

I hear ya on the Propane.... Way to much $$$$$$$. My Trane has a 3 stage blower. So depending on the heating/cooling need. It blows a little or a lot. I only use the furnace once in the Fall and once in the Spring (just to see that it works/in case of emergency). I do use the Central Air. Been going like crazy the last few days.....

Like Turbo-Quad said. I too have a Pellet stove (Fahrenheit Pellet Furnace)back-up and a Wood-stove back-up. Both will be used for the 1st time this heating season. It may be a local code/Insurance thing. But I thought it was state wide. I hope someone else chimes in from Ohio on this.

I picked up 2 tons of Easy Heats from Kinsman Stoves (Forum Member). Only burned them in my Shop Stove. But they seem to burn good and they SMELL Really Good.... With burning Wood this year. I hope to make my 2 yr pellet stash (normal 4/4.5 tons a yr) last about 3-4 years. Been getting wood really cheap (free).

P.S.- I am not in charge. You must see Eric from Kinsman Stoves, or imacman (treasurer) to see about your "Pig Status". I shall not give anyone that title. It is "Earned" not Given. Congrats on the Harman. You are gonna love. Do Not... I repeat. Do Not get a LP fireplace set (logs). Get a pellet insert or Woodburning insert. Cheaper and much more "Carbon Friendly". Cheers my friend and again... Welcome to the Forum. You will be "Hooked" with the "Sickness". Checking every store and Hearth Shop for there Brands and Pricing. Its ridiculous. Just ask my Wife... LOL

Welcome to the forums FOTONATE.

Please check into the heating system thing as it is more than just what the insurance folks are happy with or your local code enforcement (or lack there of) have to say about things.

You could get caught short if you ever had to sell the house. Lenders can be extremely picky and it is even possible that your current mortgage lender may have an issue of a house with only a solid fuel heating system in it.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Welcome to the forums FOTONATE.

Please check into the heating system thing as it is more than just what the insurance folks are happy with or your local code enforcement (or lack there of) have to say about things.

You could get caught short if you ever had to sell the house. Lenders can be extremely picky and it is even possible that your current mortgage lender may have an issue of a house with only a solid fuel heating system in it.
That's what I said earlier Smokey. I think your "Primary" has to be "Non Solid". Almost positive. There are Dangers. That's why I want to sell my Fahrenhiet. Ins agent does not like that many FIRE devices (plus my fireplace=4 Fires) in my home. If it meets code and follows the Manf Recommendations. Your good. But always read the fine print.

sinnian said:
Your insurance company WILL REQUIRE a back up, or they will drop you. Keep it hooked up.

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.