Harman Room Temp or Stove Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
There is another thread that talked about convection fan speed and efficiency. Some pointed out that higher fan speed would effectively transfer more heat from the heat exchanger, thus lowering the temp of the heat exchanger itself (which makes sense).

My questions are: With the higher fan speed lowering the exchange temp, what are the characteristics of Room Temp vs Stove Temp modes? Does stove temp try and keep the heat exchanger at a more constant temp? Which is a more effective use of pellets being burned?

room temp is specific temperature in the room (50-90degF) while stove temp is how hot the STOVE gets irregardless of the temp in the room. On the "7" setting in stove temp, you are generating upwards of 400+ deg from the exhaust, and therefore a similar # from the hot air coming out. I advise most to use the room temp setting during the shoulders, and then in Winter use Stove temp (or run it in roomtemp with the manual mode engaged to keep the box warm and keep from cycling the iginitor all the time) because its gonna run all the time, anyway.

summit said:
On the "7" setting in stove temp, you are generating upwards of 400+ deg from the exhaust, and therefore a similar # from the hot air coming out. I advise most to use the room temp setting during the shoulders, and then in Winter use Stove temp (or run it in roomtemp with the manual mode engaged to keep the box warm and keep from cycling the iginitor all the time) because its gonna run all the time, anyway.

So is stove temp governed by the exhaust probe temp?

I haven't done an official study, but I feel like the room temp setting uses more pellets in the really cold months. I found that using stove temp allows me to run the stove a bit lower 24/7 and it seems to use less pellets.

NH Pellet Head said:
I haven't done an official study, but I feel like the room temp setting uses more pellets in the really cold months. I found that using stove temp allows me to run the stove a bit lower 24/7 and it seems to use less pellets.

I actually found the same thing, by accident. I had an issue with our room temp probe last season and the stove was not reading that the thing was even plugged in. Had a heck of a time getting it taken care of, no less than a dozen calls to the dealer trying to get them to believe that I wasn't just an idiot who didn't know how to work his stove. Anyway that's another topic.

The stove would not work in room temp mode so I had to run it in stove temp mode for about a week or so. It was January so it was pretty cold out and I thought it did a better job of keeping the house warm in that mode. WHile my results are in no way scientific it also seemed to use the same or less pellets than in room temp mode.

I found the same thing, too. The stove uses much less pellets in stove temp mode. I just set it on #3 and medium fan and let it run. The oil heat comes on for an hour in the morning and evening to bump the house temp up to 68 and make hot water.

gbreda said:
summit said:
On the "7" setting in stove temp, you are generating upwards of 400+ deg from the exhaust, and therefore a similar # from the hot air coming out. I advise most to use the room temp setting during the shoulders, and then in Winter use Stove temp (or run it in roomtemp with the manual mode engaged to keep the box warm and keep from cycling the iginitor all the time) because its gonna run all the time, anyway.

So is stove temp governed by the exhaust probe temp?

YES

Going on 4th season with my XXV and run it on room temp during the shoulder
seasons and stove temp during mid winter. This setting works for me.

The steady heat of stove temp makes my home feel more comfortable and I go thru
less pellets than if I ran it in room temp all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.