Harman Slide Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfmaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Southeastern PA
My Accentra Insert was installed in early Feb of this year. Within the first two weeks of operation, the pellets bridged a couple of times
and I had to clear the opening by hand to free them. One time, however, that did not work and I ended up accessing the feeder chamber
where a good amount of fines and some pellets had collected. I, inadvertantly, removed the slide plate while I was cleaning the chamber.
I now realized that I put the slide plate back in the wrong way. I didn’t know at the time that it was the slide plate. My bad.
I put it back in a verticle position rather than horizontal, which I assume renders it useless.

What’s odd is that this doesn’t appear to have had a negative affect on the stove. My pellet consumption didn’t noticebly change afterwards.
The pellets never overflow and the temperature I set in Room Temp mode is maintained accurately. On the plus side, I haven’t had a pellet bridging
problem since.

Has anyone ever removed the slide plate?

The MAIN purpose of the slide plate is to preclude a backburn
thru the auger & into the pellet hopper.
It causes a positive firestop...
Put it in there correctly, for safety's sake.

The slide plate needs to be in the correct way. Perfectly flat on the bottom side and lip on the top side. This also helps seperate the fines from the pellets as they feed through and helps to not dump to many pellets in the auger. Make sure the slide plate is in correctly and the fines box cover is sealed tightly and correctly.

thanks for the replies. I will be doing my weekly cleaning today and I'll put the slide plate back in its proper position!

While doing my weekly cleaning, I pulled out the insert to get to the feeder chamber. The slide plate was in the proper position. It was the fines deflector that I had inadvertantly taken out and put back in. I'm really showing off my inexperience with pellet stoves! According to the diagram in the install manual, the deflector is facing the proper way. The deflector is currently resting on the bottom of the chamber. It wasn't clear to me in the diagram, where exaclty it should be. Now that I'm talking about the right part, does someone know exaclty where the fines deflector is placed in the chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.