Harman XXV at altitude

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one have experience with the XXV at altitude, or any of the Harman stoves? The manual spec's a draught of around .5-.6" WC at high speed and .35 ish at low speed combustion. I'm at altitude of nearly 9k and I get .4 at high and around .24 at low. I've changed the door seal, checked the pellet load seal, opened the flue up to verify no restrictions, all to no joy. Do they make a higher speed combustion blower for high altitude? any special adjustments to the control board to compensate. My installer was a Harman dealer, but to my recollection they never even checked the draught. I'm in the Golden / Boulder area if you're an installer / service guy with insight / solutions.

mountainhome21 said:
Any one have experience with the XXV at altitude, or any of the Harman stoves? The manual spec's a draught of around .5-.6" WC at high speed and .35 ish at low speed combustion. I'm at altitude of nearly 9k and I get .4 at high and around .24 at low. I've changed the door seal, checked the pellet load seal, opened the flue up to verify no restrictions, all to no joy. Do they make a higher speed combustion blower for high altitude? any special adjustments to the control board to compensate. My installer was a Harman dealer, but to my recollection they never even checked the draught. I'm in the Golden / Boulder area if you're an installer / service guy with insight / solutions.

How does it burn/perform? I have the opposite problem and it seems to burn just fine.

mostly ok..occasional bit of woodsmoke back in with wind, and sometimes the feed / ignite bits won't start, i'm assuming due to low draught, hence working through all the seals, etc. making sure there were no leaks....it's not bad..but if there was a high speed adjustment or high volume blower for altitude I'm sure most of the issue would go away.

mountainhome21 said:
mostly ok..occasional bit of woodsmoke back in with wind, and sometimes the feed / ignite bits won't start, i'm assuming due to low draught, hence working through all the seals, etc. making sure there were no leaks....it's not bad..but if there was a high speed adjustment or high volume blower for altitude I'm sure most of the issue would go away.

Hmmm, that sounds reasonable. Only other option is to use 4" pipe if you don't already have it. Wouldn't hurt to post a few pictures of your piping, so the pro's can better see what's up. Are you familiar with EVL? See below for basic calculations:

To as the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL).
1.Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
2.Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
3.Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
4.Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL
5.Elevations above 3000 ft with an EVL of 6 or more must adapt to 4-inch diameter vent pipe.

Thanks for the thought..yes with the altitude it was installed with 4" pellet pro. 1 elbow straight out the back, into the stack on a single story bit of the house. To eliminate the chimney I pulled the cleanouts open as you can test the draft without the fire lit, (stove in test mode, combustion blower cycles between low and high for set up). Was also able to test all the seals the same way..

Status
Not open for further replies.