Harman XXV Burning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shank

May 21, 2022
Ohio
I have done a little searching but not exactly what to search for.

On my XXV I get a very nice looking flame when started and for a good while. I can maintain an approximately 1" from edge of pot... for a while.

What ends up happening eventually (2 or so hours?) is I get ash accumulation and the flame is basically 2"+ back and the stove will not feed pellets enough to push this off (if it is even supposed to?). On it's worst mornings the flame can basically be behind 1-2" tall of ash on end of burn pot and basically seems to be burning close to the end of the auger.

Is this an issue, or is it simply my pellets are quite poor?

It sounds normal. I scrape the ash off the burn pot daily. Don't expect the ash to fall off on its own. The flame will raise and lower based on the demand for heat. Unlike a fireplace or wood burner the pellet stove feeds only enough to meet the demand.

It sounds normal. I scrape the ash off the burn pot daily. Don't expect the ash to fall off on its own. The flame will raise and lower based on the demand for heat. Unlike a fireplace or wood burner the pellet stove feeds only enough to meet the demand.

I understand the operation, just seemed a little excessive on the ash.

What pellets are you using?
Primarily Energy Pellets of America (I have 1-1/2 tons left). I believe Country Boy did a fair amount better but I have only burned one bag (I only bought a few as I am trying to test some out). I need to retest with another bag.

My P68 does the same thing personally I find that the stove gives more heat when there is a good nest of ashes
Let me explain. As the temperature approaches the setpoint the pellets decrease, the combustion fan decreases in speed and the flame drops. If there are no ashes the flame barely goes past the burn pot and when there are ashes the flame rises higher and towards the heat exchanger which causes the stove to give off more heat into the firebox. house when it is at a minimum so it is more efficient.
That's what I noticed while testing.

Reactions: Shank
My P68 does the same thing personally I find that the stove gives more heat when there is a good nest of ashes
Let me explain. As the temperature approaches the setpoint the pellets decrease, the combustion fan decreases in speed and the flame drops. If there are no ashes the flame barely goes past the burn pot and when there are ashes the flame rises higher and towards the heat exchanger which causes the stove to give off more heat into the firebox. house when it is at a minimum so it is more efficient.
That's what I noticed while testing.
Hadn't considered that. Interesting and makes at least some logical sense whether intended or not.

I suppose my only concern was if there was any issue with the flame being so close to the end of the auger.

Primarily Energy Pellets of America (I have 1-1/2 tons left). I believe Country Boy did a fair amount better but I have only burned one bag (I only bought a few as I am trying to test some out). I need to retest with another bag.
Country Boy are very good pellets. I’ve been burning those along with Somersets. The only complaint about Country Boy I have is they seem dusty when pouring from the bag into the stove.

Country Boy are very good pellets. I’ve been burning those along with Somersets. The only complaint about Country Boy I have is they seem dusty when pouring from the bag into the stove.

I just found a relatively local supplier for Country Boy's and a good price so I may have to grab a pallet or two this spring.

Reactions: ABusWrench
I just found a relatively local supplier for Country Boy's and a good price so I may have to grab a pallet or two this spring.
I certainly recommend them!

Harman Absolute 43, you ash content seams normal, have you vacuumed out the bottom of the burn pot recently?, I normally do mine at the large cleaning after each ton,but have noticed if I am running a pellet that has vegetable oil added I need to do this more often to get good airflow to the pellets.

Harman Absolute 43, you ash content seams normal, have you vacuumed out the bottom of the burn pot recently?, I normally do mine at the large cleaning after each ton,but have noticed if I am running a pellet that has vegetable oil added I need to do this more often to get good airflow to the pellets.
I'll probably pop the cover off next time it's off and check. Haven't been through a ton since last cleaning yet.