Harman XXV "Large" flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yak651

Mar 21, 2008
North Eastern WI
I've had a xxv for about 2 months now, been working great (tried to post pics of the install but the files were too large, once i figure out how to downsize them a little I'll try to get them up). Anyhow, the last 2-3 days it seems like the flame is burning huge, it goes up to the top of the stove and kinda wraps around the edge. It's causing the window to get dirty withing 2 hours or so. I haven't changed pellets and I believe I've been keeping the stove clean. Two questions, one any thoughts on the change in "burn"? Two, any danger to run it like this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Need more info, are you burning in room or stove temp, feed setting #, pellet brand, and anything else you can offer.

Defiant said:
Need more info, are you burning in room or stove temp, feed setting #, pellet brand, and anything else you can offer.

I've been running in room temp, set between 70-75. Was at 4 on feed rate, turned it to 3 to see if it was just feeding too many pellets, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Burning Uncle Jed Cold Remedy pellets. I've burnt about a ton, I have not cleaned the vent piping or esp probe.

It is due for a cleaning.
The Harman claim to burn up to a ton before cleaning ashpan is just to show the size of the ashpan.
All pellet stove owners (Harman or otherwise) after burning 20-25 bags should pick the next WARMEST day and clean thier stove.
Your efficiency will stay higher too.

Clean the ESP probe and the combustion blower area.

Check your venting.

Clean your burn pot, make sure all of the holes are clear and full sized.

I will take a look the esp probe tomorrow. I have been keeping the burn pot area scraped/clean and the area for the ignitor under the cover. The venting I'll have to get a brush for, maybe Sunday I can get this. Any danger to burn the stove like this besides making it harder to clean? Thanks for the help.

Other than it can really make a mess as long as you don't make a habit of running that way the stove will survive.

check the vent cap screen.. probably full of fly ash.

try sticking it in stove temp, middle of the range....with this cold, room temp causes the stove to constantly adjust itself, big fire-little fire-big fire, etc.....just give it a try!

GVA said:
It is due for a cleaning.
The Harman claim to burn up to a ton before cleaning ashpan is just to show the size of the ashpan.
All pellet stove owners (Harman or otherwise) after burning 20-25 bags should pick the next WARMEST day and clean thier stove.
Your efficiency will stay higher too.

Yup, I've run a ton through before emptying the ash pan but I clean it now about every other week. I plan on doing a cleaning when I get home as the last week has been cold and we have run alot of pellets through it and its due.

i cleaned the esp probe this morning and vacuumed out the "trap" for the exhaust venting, i also found the clamp on the air intake where it goes into the OAK was loose, so tighten that. Been running about 4 hours sense and the glass is still clean so seems better. Is there an easier way to get at/clean the Esp probe than taking the exhaust flange off? not a total PITA, but to take that off then to try and slide the 500 pound stove forward to get it away from the venting isn't the most fun...i also took the fan out and vacuumed the flights, kinda makes a mess to take this stuff all out and clean...Thanks for the help, i'll look into cleaning the vent pipe Asap

sure....take the left rear panel off and remove the ESP probe via the fastening screw......take out the screw, pull out the ESP, clean it, then put it back.....easier than taking off the pipe.

Ain't messes fun ;-).

Now you done went and ruined all of our fun Lousyweather.

It is the dead of winter and about all we have for enjoyment is picturing stove owners up to their eyeballs in ash and soot.

yak651 said:
thanks for the tip, i'll do that next time.
Glad someone could get a laugh at my expense
:)

That's fine for the ESP not so fine for the rest of the vent just so you understand oh covered one ;-) .

I also get covered in soot doing a good cleaning of the stove.

yea, Smoky is right....cleaning the ESP is no substitute for a good vent cleaning! It usually helps when cleaning too to smear a generous dollop of vaseline in your hair.....be sure to work it in good though.....

Found another culprit, on the outlet of the outside vent there is a "mesh" cover, most likely to keep birds/critters out of the vent pipe, this was basically "closed" with ash, brushed this out, should help my situation, figure this is probably the main cause of my problem as the probe and fan were dirty but nothing too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.