Harman xxv owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODNUT358

Aug 1, 2008
RI
I have a Harman xxv that I bought in 2009.My question is this,when I remove the rear panels,I never see any fines or dirt of any kind there.Should I be removing anything else around the blowers to clean?Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You mean the cleanout plate on the right rear side? I get a little bit of fines in there, but not a whole lot, I got a bigger mess of sticky residue inside the hopper though.

My cleaning procedure....

1) Turn stove to temp mode dial to OFF position, then wait about 30 minutes.
2) vacuum out ashes on left and right side of ash container, Empty the ash container into an ash bucket, vaccum off container, and revacuum inside area.
3) Scrape the burnpot with the provided tool
4) Scrape the heat exchanger with the provided tool
5) Scrub the heat exchanger, inside walls, and the around the burnpot with a stove brush
6) Remove the heat shield and scrub it with the stove brush
7) Vacuum out the burnpot, the door edges, and whole inside
8) Remove the cover plate for the ignitor area, vacuum it out, replace the cover plate.
9) Scrub the exhaust port hole with the stove brush, touch up scrubbing the heat exchangers, and re-vacuum.
10) Unplug stove....then remove left side rear cover and remove the combustion fan.
11) Scrub the combustion fan blades and backing with toothbrush, vacuum up mess.
12) Scrub the inside of combustion fan area with stove brush, and vacuum this area out.
13) sneak toothbrush up inside, or use my gloves to brush off ESP probe.
14) Reinstall combustion fan, then vacuum out left rear cavity area and distribution fan, and reinstall left rear cover.
15) Remove the right rear cover and remove the fines cleanout cover and vacuum whatever is there out, reinstall fines cleanout cover.
16) Vacuum out the right rear cavity area and distribution fan, and reinstall right rear cover.
17) Put heat shield back on burnpot, Clean glass, and vacuum dust off/under/around stove.
18) Empty Ash Vac into ash bucket.
19) Double check everything, just to be sure.
20) Fill hopper, plug stove back in, then turn stove back on. Verify igniter lights the pellets.
21) Grab a beer and enjoy a job well done ;-)

Tools needed:
1) Provided scrape tool
2) Stove Noodle Brush
3) Ash Vac(with brush attachment, and small hose attachment to vacuum out igniter area)
4) Pliers(for the two wing nuts holding combustion fan in place)
5) 7/16" ratcheting box wrench(for the bolt holding the combustion fan in place)
6) flat head screwdriver (for the rear stove covers)
7) Flash light(Mainly to look inside exhaust port area to confirm you got everything)
8) Six pack of beer. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.