Harman XXV Smoke Odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeylou

Nov 1, 2014
Danbury, CT
I have a Harman XXV pellet stove. Never had an issue with it for the 3 or 4 years since I bought it new. Fired it up yesterday for the first time this season and even after it had been running for quite some time, had a very distinct odor of smoke. It seems to be coming from where the fan is pushing out the heat. Any suggestions on what to check? The ventilation pipe was cleaned thoroughly before start-up.

Thanks,
Joey

I have a Harman XXV pellet stove. Never had an issue with it for the 3 or 4 years since I bought it new. Fired it up yesterday for the first time this season and even after it had been running for quite some time, had a very distinct odor of smoke. It seems to be coming from where the fan is pushing out the heat. Any suggestions on what to check? The ventilation pipe was cleaned thoroughly before start-up.

Thanks,
Joey
Grab a flashlight, turn the lights off in the room and check your venting from the adapter all the way out. You often can see smoke at the joints.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Yep, that's how I finally found my leak. Although only on start up it's annoying, partly because start up only last so long. But sure enough there was the leak at my clean out cap, nice little curl of smoke comes out of one spot if you can only see it if you get the flashlight right on it.. But, and this is a clear issue too, with no OAK the blowers pick up that smoke and help distribute it ( my clean out t is in the fireplace in my living room). And you start dreaming about heat exchanger cracks etc. Installed my OAK today incidentally, just got done in fact.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.