Harman XXV Temp Sensor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgrinz

Jun 20, 2010
Western MA
I had to move the sensor farther away from the stove, the installer had it coiled up on the back corner near the intake. The current 30 degree days and teens/twenty nights were causing an issue with that location, wasn't heating the house right. I bumped up the temp in Room Temp mode and even 80 degrees wasn't working right, moved it about 3 feet away and seems to work much better now set at 77 or so.

I was kind of skeptical when the dealer told me that they generally just hang it on the back of the stove.

Hows is it working as far as a constant heat goes?

AVIVIII said:
I was kind of skeptical when the dealer told me that they generally just hang it on the back of the stove.

Hows is it working as far as a constant heat goes?

Its a pretty consistent heat, and seems much more accurate now that I moved the sensor away from the stove a little.

yeah, I don't understand how this can possibly work with the little 3' wire they give you. I couldn't get it far enough from the stove...tried all kinds of options. There is simply too much radiant heat close to the stove. no, not nearly as much as a wood stove, but enough to give the thermostat an unrealistic sense of the overall room temp.
I thought something wasn't working right, at first. So I tested it by placing a digital thermometer right next to the probe tip, and tried all the various location options...the thermometer told me that the stove was doing exactly as it was told. I had the temp set to 70. It was 65 degrees 10 feet away(and colder as you get farther away)...but it was 70 within 3 feet of the stove, so thats what it maintained.
I extended the probe with thermostat wire, so that it is 10 feet away from the stove, and it works perfectly. and yes, it maintains a very steady temperature.

when it gets that cold i found that running in stove temp mode is alot better.......more consistent heat

If you want to move the temp sensor and don't want to use the short cord included then I would suggest running some thermostat wire and hooking it up to a digital therm in whatever part of the house you want.. You can then program it and it will read directly from that point.. If you have any questions about this process just let me know. As for the short that comes with it.. Set it on the floor beside the stove because honestly the 1 degree temp drop that you MAY experience (aside from being directly beside a window or door) isn't going to matter where you put the cord.

Thanks,

Ryan

The Kitchen and Bath Shop

Czosie said:
If you want to move the temp sensor and don't want to use the short cord included then I would suggest running some thermostat wire and hooking it up to a digital therm in whatever part of the house you want.. You can then program it and it will read directly from that point.. If you have any questions about this process just let me know. As for the short that comes with it.. Set it on the floor beside the stove because honestly the 1 degree temp drop that you MAY experience (aside from being directly beside a window or door) isn't going to matter where you put the cord.

Thanks,

Ryan

The Kitchen and Bath Shop

I would love to know how to do this. Do you have to buy one from Harman?

thanks

No you can just buy any digital programable or non programmable thermostat. You would need to wire the termostats in a loop with the existing system so they work together. I'll lay it out step by step

1. Find a good spot for the digital thermostat to go
2. Run the Termostat wire from the digital thermostat to the Harman stove
3. Disconnect 1 "leg" of the current thermostat that is already connected to the stove.
4. Hook 1 wire from the thermostat wire to the leg you disconnected from the harman stove.
5. Hook the OTHER thermostat wire to the back of the Harman stove.

The connection is now in a LOOP and the stove will sense off of BOTH the thermostat on the stove and the thermostat on the wall.. So you could set the stove at 85 and the wall thermostat at 70.. It will run up to the 70 degree tempature and shut off when it reaches that point.. In my opinion the best way to do it is set the wall thermostat at 80 and the stove at 70 and program the wall thermostat to turn on and off as desired.. But the consistancy of the tempature will only work if it is running off of the STOVE'S internal thermostat. The wall thermostat will shut the stove down.

Any other questions or if I need to clarify let me know.

Czosie said:
No you can just buy any digital programable or non programmable thermostat. You would need to wire the termostats in a loop with the existing system so they work together. I'll lay it out step by step

3. Disconnect 1 "leg" of the current thermostat that is already connected to the stove.
4. Hook 1 wire from the thermostat wire to the leg you disconnected from the harman stove.

The connection is now in a LOOP and the stove will sense off of BOTH the thermostat on the stove and the thermostat on the wall.. So you could set the stove at 85 and the wall thermostat at 70.. It will run up to the 70 degree tempature and shut off when it reaches that point.. In my opinion the best way to do it is set the wall thermostat at 80 and the stove at 70 and program the wall thermostat to turn on and off as desired.. But the consistancy of the tempature will only work if it is running off of the STOVE'S internal thermostat. The wall thermostat will shut the stove down.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I might try this with my P43. Thanks for the step-by-step, that really helps too!

Czosie said:

You lost me in the last paragraph. If the stove is set at 70 and the wall therm. at 80, wouldn't the stove therm do all of the control. How would that be any different than not having the wall thermostat at all? I think i'm missing something, sorry.

Ok, that' the simple 4 blink method of using the thermostat to shut the stove on or off as outlined by Harman... I was thinking you were suggesting that the thermostat was controlling the stove output temperature. Would be interesting which concept uses less pelletsm. With the stove at 85 and the thermostat at 75, the stove would run wide open or off, nothing inbetween (unless you had the switch set to manual where it would go to maintenance burn)...

Edit - I thought this was on off only (setback) because you needed to program the thermostat backwards to make this work???

if you use a digital thermostat to control WHEN the stove runs it will work the best. If the wall thermostat is set at 60 and the stove 70 the thermostat will kill the stove when it reaches the temp.. If the wall thermostat is set to 80 and the stove at 70 the stove will maintain a constant level 70 instead of reaching a tempature and shutting off.. Like the stove is designed to do and to get the best results if the circuit board maintains the heat it will be a more even heat and better burn.

When you add a thermostat in line on a harman stove it basically makes the stove have 2 thermostats... The wall thermostat which trips a blink status when the temp is reached and the circuit board which will run the stove as normal if the temp is met on that.

Also note I say this from the experience that I like the control and even heat the Harman has to offer me from the circuit board and not the get to temp and shut off quadra fire mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.