Harman XXV Top Vent Chimney Sweep Frequency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennsy6142

Sep 27, 2010
Northern NJ
Going into my 3rd season with Harman XXV. Happy with the stove. I replaced a wood burning stove and have never looked back. I also bought the top vent adapter which converts the exhaust port to a 6" round tube. I then used this to hook up to my existing 6" tube stainless lined chimney. I have not had any sort of venting problems.

My question is on how frequent I should get the vertical part of the chimney swept? It is about 20-25' feet high above the shelf going through the wall.

Every season I have completely disassembled the inside pipes, cleaned them and the shelf. This just leaves the vertical run. The pellets have to produce a lot less buildup than a wood stove, and I was wondering if the vertical run should be swept every year. I run the XXV constantly from Nov-Feb.

I got it done after the 1st season, it seemed like the chimney sweep had a easy time and kinda flustered a little when I asked him how bad it was, which he said was moderate.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Ideally, the vent should be brushed out after each ton to keep the stove
running at peak performance.

I clean out the stove every week, but only go as far back to the exhaust motor from the front. Basically scrape and vacuum down the square path under the burn pot. For the last two years, there is buildup on the shelf, but no more restriction in the 6" shelf than would be from the standard 3" pellet pipe, say 20%. That is easy for me to get and clean every year, but the vertical shaft outside the house would mean a ladder or roof, neither options work for me.

Does anyone have and idea what the buildup on the walls of the vertical chimney would be and how often it should be swept? Any larger particles that go past the shelf fall down into the clean out area outside the house.

Thanks for the welcome as well, this is a great site. I had the 5 hole burnout issue which melted away the end of the auger and auger tube. Posts on that let me easily make the case to my dealer who repaired it, they even picked it up, fixed at their shop and returned it, no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.