Harman XXV trys to start itself when off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhdblfan

Jun 5, 2008
Central NH
Hi all,

had stove going this morning then we shut if off and it went through the normal cool down with the blower going then shut down fully,as it should. A couple hrs later it was making a sound like it was trying to start and sure enough thats what it was doing.It was going on for a second then off,then on for a second again then off. I checked to be sure I had in in the fully "off" position and it was. Unpluged it for now.
I have also noticed recently when starting it you have to fiddle with the dial (I use stove temp mode)to find a good position to keep the start up on otherwise it does the same thing on for a second then off.

its about 5 years old of that helps.

What should I test first ?

thanks

my money is on a weak/dirty/failing mode selector potentiometer.....hard to test, just have to find the "sweet spot", or replace the board......couple hundred bucks.

I have a newer stove with the pot having issues if I put it all the way to high room. New pots I am told can be had through eBay for $10 and need to unsolder and resolder it in. Wil replace in spring. Someone will fix boards for $100 +-

You need to find a dealer with a Harman Computer to check the dial settings.

Eric

Thanks, all

I bet its that potentionmeter as well as I am able to find a sweet spot to get her going-has not done the self start again but I am watching it.If I can keep doing that until spring I will grab one of those off ebay and swap it out ( sweated a lot of copper pipe but never did much soldering on a board, will probably see if the local puter guy can do it for me),if that fails I do see them for 210 shipped.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.