Harman XXV whistles when auger starts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slheinlein

Oct 30, 2007
Southern NH
When the auger starts to move to feed pellets, I get a high pitched whistle. The whistle stops when the auger stops. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

slide plate.
it makes a "wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek" noise?

Remove all the pellets. Vacuum the bottom of hopper around the slide plate. Puff a little powdered graphite (available at hardware store) on the front and back edges (relative to the stove)of the slide plate.

The cause; fines can build up and wedge the slide plate causing it to drag on one side of the housing. It usually will work its way out on its own.

WarmInNH said:
When the auger starts to move to feed pellets, I get a high pitched whistle. The whistle stops when the auger stops. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Is it whistling a happy tune?

Parrot's right on.

My Stove does this once or twice a year, and vacuuming out the hopper always does the trick. Sometimes, immediately after vacuuming and restarted, the whistling/screeching is still there for a few minutes, but always goes away and stays away for a few months.

The whistle went away after awhile. I later did a good cleaning and found a lot of clinkers around the auger area. I am burning Natures Own pellets which were good last year but not so good this year so far. Lots of ash and clinkers. I also went to my stove store and they said this is quite common and simply requires a good cleaning, especially around the auger for clinkers. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Glad the music has stopped, pellet stoves don't whistle too well.

Had the same thing on our stove. I called the stove shop & was told it was carbon buildup near the auger. Did a good cleaning & it went away. It's happened a few times since, so to avoid it now I just make sure that once a day whenever I see the stove shutdown I take the opportunity to scrape out the burn pot area & as long as I've been doing this we haven't had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.