Harmen Accentra insert question/ problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brihvac

Feb 20, 2011
North Wilmington, DE
I finally got my used Harmon Accentra insert installed. Bought if from a guy who just had a combustion blower put in it. Date inside unit is Sept. 2006. Install went well, pulled my 4" stainless liner, and I cleaned it real good while I had it outside. It had no soot what so ever anywhere. Loaded it with pellets and fired it up. I loved it. I burnt it for 5 hours. Here is my question and issue. I turned the dial to off to shut it down. The auger motor still ran slightly for another 20 minutes dropping pellets. After about 20 minutes it finally stopped and the fire went out (is this normal?). I wanted to watch the entire stove shut down. The indoor fan and combustion blower kept running.....The indoor fan shut down but the combustion blower kept running. I figured once it cooled down the combustion blower would shut down, so I went to bed. When I got up, this morning, the combustion motor is STILL running. The light on the board is still lit calling for it to run. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and the light went out and the blower stopped. I never had a pellet stove before but I do HVAC for a living. BUT I know you guys are experts so I am asking here. My guess is the ESP sensor by the combustion fan or the board, but I do not want to go parts changing because I am sure parts are not cheap. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Not sure about why the combustion fan kept runnning but when I had my P61A installed they said that once you turn the dial to off there is a plate that closes between the hopper and the auger and then the auger continues to run so that it empties out of pellets. Just another safety feature to prevent hopper fires I guess.

Everything sounds normal except the combustion fan usually turns off a little while after the distribution fan. I sispect it is based on temperature and you may just have something wring with the probe that measures exhause temp. Did you clean that prior to your trying to start the stove? You may want to whipe that sensor off and try again but I would bet it is bad and not telling you the actual exhaust temp. I would clean it first see if that helps then if not I would call in the expert.

Rick

I think I will try and replace the ESP sensor. Its not a big deal that the fan runs because I can turn it off by shutting down the power, but it still is not right. The board online is about $225 and the sensor is $60.00

What was the outside air temperasture when you did this? The warmer the outside air the longer the
Harman units will take to shut completely down. The ESP has to reach 90 degrees before everything
turns off. Your insert is acting normally.

50 degrees outside 68 inside house and the combustion blower ran for 8hrs before I unplugged it. It was very cooled down.

OK. If you had said 8 hours the first time I would've answered differently.
I'd pull the ESP & clean it with stove glass cleaner. Don't twist or bend it or
use any abrasives on it. If it's already bent, it's probably shot. They're
about $65 for a new one...

I had the same exact problem with my xxv, turned out to be the board. Luckily it was covered in full by harman's warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.