Harmon Ignitor Going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank

Feeling the Heat
Nov 27, 2008
S. Maine
My Harman Accentra is on its 2nd year. Lately I've been noticing that it takes anywhere from 15-20 minutes to catch, and this is after I've cleaned the ignitor chamber every week. It used to be about 5-8 minutes about a month ago. Any ideas out there?

Mine was doing that too. I took it out ( left wires attached and checked ohms - 50 - ok- then reinstalled it. works like new now. ???
Perhaps there was a build up of ash around the element that was not falling out when I vacuumed it out.

Wow thats a long time to ignite. I just got a new igniter in my XXV and is the latest version. With the new igniter by the time the initial feed cycle is done (about 50 seconds) the fire is already going. Barring a bad igniter, make sure (all) the holes in the burnpot are open, especially the ones right where the igniter sits. I sometimes use a paper clip or small drill bit and just poke through the hole. Dont go to deep, you dont want to damage the igniter.......

Thanks for that info, I'll check both those out.

12 guage solid copper wire is the correct size to clean holes out in burn pot. same wire you have in your walls going to your outlets as long as they are on a 20a breaker.

I just had the igniter replace on my two year old Harman P68. Had the same issues you were describing initially (slow ignite times), and then progressed to where it wouldn't ignite at all. Luckily, we were still under the warranty for ours and had the igniter coil replaced for free.

If you have followed all the maintenance guidelines in the manual including cleaning/vacuuming ash out of the igniter box, you may want to give a repair guy a call. We were warned that if the problem was found to be due to improper cleaning, we would be billed for the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.