Harmon makes noise in off position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim33

Oct 29, 2010
Central MA
Harmon Advance 4 year old stove that has been great. Started making an "errr" for a split second when in the "off" position. Could be 20 or more seconds’ in-between the noise. Also the combustion / blower and status light flashes on with the "errr" sound. Light is only on with noise. Is it the board?

Inspect the impeller on the motor by removing the ash bin and the impeller shield to see if there is an obstruction. The err sound should not happen at all if the stove is cold and in the off position, though when you do turn the unit off there is a 30 minute delay or so before the unit actually turns off. I suppose we need more info.

Thanks for the replay. I'm not sure what the impeller on the motor is but the stove is very clean all around. And I have cleaned behind the ash pan. But the noise is ALL the time when the stove is off. When you first turn it off it runs normal until it cools down and all motors stop. Then the sound starts. Another (maybe related) issue is sometimes on room temp and auto settings it will kick in for a few seconds and then back down. Almost like it wants more heat then 2 seconds later it wants to give less. I have done the test mode it that works fine.

silly question, but can it be getting surges through the electrical line?

Also, since it starts up on it's own, don't forget to unplug it. I am famous for forgetting to unplug mine when I clean it...

Mark :)

you may wish to inspect the "fines box" on the left side of the feeder mechanism. It collects loose saw dust from the feeder and stores it...for your inconvenience. If it gets full up it can put pressure on the auger system and the slide plate assembly and make an "err" sound. the two fan motors usually spin fast enough that they dont make an "err" sound, more like an evil screeching noise, or an obnoxious buzzing when they are amiss. not saying it cant be one of the fans, but they usually make noises that make you look at the machine and say "dear lord, what is that noise?".

I'm sure the noise is coming from the control unit and not the auger area. And my dust box is clean. But the note about the surges through the electrical may be something to test. I'll put a surge protector (a nice one that also has a battery backup on it) on it and if it is the problem it will stop when it's plugged in. thanks

The noise stopped for a bit when I plugged the stove into the battery side of the surge protector. But it started making the noise again. It also made the noise when plugged into the surge protector side.

The other day I was reading a post here about a Harman stove that will start to turn on when the switch Is off. The post was Harman Invincible insert starts on Its own By Sandpiper.The reply I read was the ESP after 4 or 5 years sometimes goes south and will think that there Is fire in the stove and try to turn on the fans. Sounds like the start of the same problem
Jim

Last year, I noticed my Harman advance makes a subtle buzzing noise in the off position every few minutes or so. It was very faint, and I could only hear it if there were no TVs or radios on in the house. when I unplugged the Stove, it stopped. Not sure if it was a periodic electrical signal doing "something" or what... but once I determined that it stopped when unplugged, I didn't worry about it or notice it any further.

Yes abrucerd (last reply) that is how my stove start the noise. It was last year and when it was very quite I found the stove making a noise every minute or two. Does your stove still do it? Mine has slowly gotten worse. I tried a surge protector but it still does it. How does your stove worked on room temp setting? It seems a little different than the first few years.

I haven't noticed it yet this season, but I haven't spent much time near the stove while it's off. Next time i shut it down, I will sit with it for a bit to see if I notice it anymore and post my findings here.

I use stove temp exclusively, no surge protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.