Harmon Oakwood Combustion Chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T@LFarms

Nov 29, 2010
Central NY
I have a Harman Oakwood and the combustion chamber is falling apart on the front edge. I wondered if any one knows how to replace it. It looks like it has to come out of the back of the stove. Do I need any new seals or special tools to replace it?

Welcome TC. Have you asked your dealer if this is covered under warranty? How old is the stove?

My stove is just over 3 years old. My dealer is moving to a new location and can't be contacted. I am dealing with the closest dealer and they said they contacted the company and the chamber is only covered for two years. I burned a timberline stove for 15 years without spending a cent on repairs. I paid a fortune in my eyes for this supposedly top of the line stove and so far I have had to replace all of the fire bricks for about $300.00 and now need to replace the chamber for another $300.00. Are these stoves junk?????

Wow, that is a lot of money. The warranty on the firedome seems very short, especially for a high wearing part. I'm disappointed to hear this. What is the total flue height on the stove?

That sucks, I've heard of others with the same problem and these down draft stoves always seem to be a little finicky draft wise.

Wow. That is a rip. I just looked at the "covers all" warranty document HHT uses now. Do you have the original manual with the warranty information for that stove? This thing does not look like the warranty that stove had three years ago.

TC said:
I have a Harman Oakwood and the combustion chamber is falling apart on the front edge. I wondered if any one knows how to replace it. It looks like it has to come out of the back of the stove. Do I need any new seals or special tools to replace it?

All you need to do is take the back off (with an allen wrench) - pull it straight back. Check the gasket and replace it if needed.

How hot have you been burning that stove - wondering if it's overdrafting or something. I'm surprised it's that far gone already, and the bricks too. Did the warranty cover the bricks at least?

Have you noticed a drop-off in burn quality? If not, I wouldn't replace it until you do. If you have already purchased the combustion pack, put it on a shelf somewhere and save it till you need it.

Thanks for all the replies. I have been putting in many hours at work and haven't turned on my computer in a few days. I will try to answer most of your questions. I have the original paper work and it says the stove has a 6 year warantee on materials and workmanship. You would think these parts are materials. My chimney is a straight shot out of the stove through a two story house and out the peak of the house.(About 14 feet in length- stainless triple wall) Last year I cleaned the stove out and when I lifted the shoe brick up it fell apart in my hands. I then took the rest of the bricks out to examin and found several that were cracked. I replaced all the bricks in the rear. This year I inspected the stove and found the remaining two side bricks that weren't replaced had hairline cracks. These bricks may last for a while but I don't like to chance it. I burn the stove 24 hours a day and use well seasoned ash, maple, & oak. I operate the stove at about two notches open once the fire gets going which is about a quarter of the air intake. As far as the chamber goes, it is only falling apart at the front opening where all the small holes are so I guess it could be used for some time. I haven't noticed a drop in efficiency. I may keep the new chamber until it falls apart more. I think they have tried to meet the emission standards without thouroughly testing the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.