Harmon p68 and thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never felt my p68's in room temp worked that well and found I ripped through igniters with the stove always turning on and off,I switched to stove temp and find that to work well, at-least I'm not replacing igniters any more.

the probe on the Harman is really accurate, actually... Problem is it's hanging near your stove. Just dial the stat dial up a few more degrees to compensate.

I found it makes a big difference where I put it. If you haven't experimented, try a few different locations. I have mine coiled on the floor directly in back of the stove on the floor. For some reason, that works. The dealer had suggested hanging it off the ground and to the side of the stove; didn't work well for me.

I put my sensor at eye level about 15 ft away from the stove. I have the wire routed through a wall, comes out behind a picture, and the sensor is peeking out over the pic a couple of inches. I seems to be fairly accurate.

This is my 2nd season with my P68 and I love it. I just found out from this forum that if u leave the stove in room temp and after the stove is lite turn the switch from auto inginit to manual inginit and the fire will never go out. The stoves blower will turn off when it reaches its temp but the fire inside will never go out then when the stove goes below its set temp then the feeder will start feeding again and the stoves blower will turn back on. Seems to be running fine for me so far. Just a thought for people to try

From what I understand the probe works on the temperature of the exhaust. I have tried placing the probe in a few different spots to experiment but my current installation location may not be the optimal place for this sensor to do its job and my options are limited. I have also considered moving to a thermostat and was wondering if anybody has had any luck with them.

In my experience the room sensing probe and the stove in 'Room Temp' have been very accurate.

I do have mine hooked up to a t-stat though. Most of the time, I use it more as a timer/interrupter with the ignition in Auto. Setting the external t-stat to 90* (max) defaults to the setting you have on the stove and turns the stove on an hour before my wife comes home from work, at midnight the external t-stat is programed to 40* (min), interrupts the RSP signal and the stove shuts down (not because the t-stat is satisfied, but because it interrupted the signal and the stove goes into 4-blink fault status until the t-stat turns back on, the RSP circuit is closed and the stove re-fires)

When the temps really drop down, I turn the ignition to manual and use the external t-stat as a low limit. It is still set to 90* (max) when I want it to pump (and still defaults to the max set by the stove temp dial), but then I set 65* as the low point for the rest of the day. The stove idles/min-burns and the blowers circulate a little heat as needed when the t-stat calls. It really works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.