Harmon P68 & remote thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox103

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2011
Littleton, NH
I have a 2300 sq. ft. "L" shaped ranch. This is my fourth heating season with the P68, about 4 tons a year. The best location for it, was the furthest away from the den which we are in a good deal of the time. The living room (where the stove is located) would be at 72 degrees and the den about 67 degrees, not bad. So to supplement I ran the oil fired boiler. Worked out good. This year I had a chance to pick up a used PP38. I placed it in the den. The goal, eliminate the oil man altogether. When we were strictly oil, we used 1300 gallons. With the P68 we dropped to 400. Now with the two stoves, my goal is zero gallons of oil.

Now for my question, I would like to put the P68 on a remote thermostat, probably a programmable one. I want to make sure I have a good understanding on what I have to do as I don't want to do any damage to the circuit board. If someone could give me a few tips on how to wire it, that would be appreciated. I am also an electrician.

thanks

Tom C.

Do a search on this Forum. Someone will chime in soon. But I think (not sure, so dont do it) you just strip the ESP probe. Then those 2 wires are what you hook the thermostat to. I use a SkyTech on my Quad. Iys a remote and it has an adjustable swing temp feom 1-3 degrees above and below your setpoint.

I did do a search and it looks like the thermostat is wired in series with the probe. I would like to have someone confirm that, who has done it.

thanks

Tom C.

indeed, in series with the probe. just expect the "4 blink" to become the norm when the unit does get to the desired temp.

Delta-T said:
indeed, in series with the probe. just expect the "4 blink" to become the norm when the unit does get to the desired temp.

Thanks Delta-T

Tom

On my Harman Advance what I did to be able to use a thermostat was to locate the room sensor plug on the back of the stove. I took off one wire that has a female connector on It. I then got a programmable thermostat and ran black and a white wires to the area of the sensor plug. Black wire gets the female clip on It and plugs into the sensor plug that I took the wire off. White wire with male connector gets put on the wire I took off the stove with the female end. Set temperature on thermostat at 90 deg. as you will be using the STOVE to control the temperature and not the thermostat. It is only an on and off switch. Set your time to come on and off and you are done
Jim H.

I'm getting the picture now. I would like the stove to "sense" the temperature of the next room to where the stove is located. So, I would move that sensor to the next room, and wire the same way, only configure the wires slightly different. The more I think of it, your way is the easiest and I can definitely live with that. My thought is to turn it off at night and warm before everyone gets up.

I'm one the way to Home Depot to pick up a thermostat and wire.

thanks Jim

Tom C.

Installed, works great!

thanks

Tom C.

Status
Not open for further replies.