Harmon PF100 Thermostat troubleshooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitmo234

Dec 1, 2010
Oxford, PA
Hey all,

My harmon pf100 is now installed. Im having some trouble with the thermostat or thermister. I've attached the picture of how the HVAC guy wired it. For some reason he didnt use the UY connectors that were included. Can someone verify that other than not using the UY connectors this looks basically right?

Could someone with one of these snap a pic and upload it for me to see?

What's going on is if I turn it down low, say 55 degrees, the stove flashes an error (4 blinks) of no thermostat connected. It also wasnt firing when cranked up to 80 degrees. Today I did some more playing and it fired when I cranked it to 80 degrees but when I turned it to 70 degrees it flashed the error again on the main unit.

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 916
I actually just found a blue wire under my thermostat on the floor, which makes sense as to why the wiring diagram says connect to the blue and the blue striped wire connect to blue. Now I'm really gonna have to ask for a pic. Try to reconnect the blue wire to where it belongs. I have a soldering iron. not pleased with this guy now

thanks! that was exactly what I needed. Unfortunately, whatever that blue knot is, some kinda resistor or whatever, broke too close to be re-soldered and looks like I need a new thermostat. I just have a feeling it's an important part of making this work

Can you get him to warranty the installation? Sounds like it never worked, he should make good on it.

Yeah, it never really worked correctly. It would kick on sometimes, so it kinda gave the illusion of me just not knowing if I was operating the unit correctly. Turns out that the little blue chunk on the blue wire is a thermistor, which reads the temperature, and operates in conjunction with the dial, which I've forgotten the technical name for, but they dont function right without both being present. Radio shack doesnt even carry 3k ohm thermistors. They're not a common component in much.

All I can think is getting the contractor to reimburse me the expense of a new thermostat from Harmon as I doubt that "contractor screw up" is covered under warranty, and I'm half minded to just not bother. The guy was entirely unreliable and couldnt even be depended on to show up on time, always answer calls, etc. Im not going to dishonestly claim the thermostat was broke on arrival, so I may just spend the $100 or so a new one costs and do it myself.

Yeah, I've run it without the thermostat, and I dont need the heat on now. Right now I'm just trying to get my unit at 100% ready for the winter. I'm actually excited for the winter because I wanna run this thing.

You should be able to get the correct thermistor. Try Newark Electronics, there are many others that I can't think of right now. A thermistor is probably $5.00 or so. The potentiometer is probably okay, but they are inexpensive, too. Try an online search using the number on the thermistor.

Yes you NEED the thermister. Have him warranty it and replace the thermodstate.

Eric

Based on what I'm seeing in these pictures, I believe I have a defective thermostat. Just finished my install and no matter what temp the thermostat is on, it's calling for heat - but no status blinks so the system knows the thermostat is connected. It appears in these photos that the leg of the "blue knot looking thingy" is supposed to be soldered to the left and middle terminal on the bottom of the thermostat dial...is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.