Harmon XXV esp probe stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nectarologist

Feb 3, 2015
Southern New York
Hi. I can't pull the esp probe out for the life of me. I used pliers without luck. I did remove the sheet metal screw and it's on there solid (the esp that is). I put the screw back in so I don't lose it but it was out when I tried to removed the esp. My stove starts fine but then has a lazy black topped flame (horrible soot on the glass within minutes). After 10 minutes the stove doesn't feed anymore and shuts down. I cleaned everything really good except the combustion blower (can't get that off either) and the flue. I want to remove the esp to clean the flue really good and to clean the esp. I suspect once i do that I'll be back in business. My stove was built in 2015 (red wires are connected to the esp as the pic shows, if that helps any). I suppose I could just use a flue brush and be careful but I really want to clean the esp too. Thanks, Chris
IMG_2426.jpg

Sometimes you just really have to pull hard. There’s not really a secret trick. It could be bent if pipe was ever brushed with it in it. You can pry with a flathead or worst case scenario, take the tailpipe off and cut the bent part off so you can replace it. Your definitely going to want to take that blower off.

Okay thank you. I will work it to get it out then. I was afraid to pull too hard. I haven’t cleaned the esp...ever so it’s overdue. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to write an update in case future searchers may find it useful. I couldn't get the probe out no matter what I did. But I got the stove working. I brushed up to the probe from the inside and took a small amount of ash out. When I went outside the flue was blocked with a nest! Took that out piece by piece and it's working like a charm. My venting is direct so I can see right to the probe from the outside. I should have started there, haha. I don't know what can get in there for a nest but it must be a small bird.