Harmon XXV pellet jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corgi

Nov 9, 2008
Long island ny
Seem to have a pellet jam on the stove, can manually turn the auger but the pellets are not feeding. Can manually start the stove but there is no feed so the fire goes out. Had this once before with a large wood chunk jammed in the auger, this time it seems there may be a chunk between the the bottom of the hopper and the auger. Is there any way to get in to this area to try to find the jam? Of course the manuel doesnt go into this issue.

First remove all the pellets. I know, its a pain to do. Vacuum the bottom of the compartment well.
This might do it, especially if you find a clog of any kind.
Next if you need to, there are metal shields on the back that are easy to remove. Behind one near the control panel is a compartment covered by a wing nut. This cover which may need a jerk to remove as it has a rubber seal that can stick. inside you will see the little sliding door that lets the pellets fall down. You can slid this by hand back and forth to make sure it is moving freely. You can also empty excess dust from this compartment.
Once this year I had to do this when I had a bag of pellets with a wallnut size chunk in it, Once last year i had to do it when i had some bags of broken pellets which eventually caused a clog from the dust in the bags. Be sure you don't ever try to put any bags of pellets that had gotten wet in the stove as the are usually full of chunks. Also wet pellets may make a poping sound or even casue some smoke outside of the stove. Good Luck!

very good information

definitely going to follow this thread

Thanks for that info but we have done that and still no good. Called our dealer today and waiting on a call back, they thought perhaps the auger was bad but it turns manually so that does not seem to be the issue. It seems like there could be a jam after the pellets drop down thru the feeder and behind the auger. We heard a clunking in there as though a large piece was jammed and seemed like the auger had ground it up but the feeder motor is not kicking on and feeding, so I am wondering if we burned out the feed motor. There just doesnt seem to be any way to get into that little space where the pellets feed. Will try again this evening with the vacume and see if we can suck out any dust. It was working fine on Friday night, I shut it down it was so warm and even Sat was nice, so just not sure why it is not cooperating now :-(

if something is blocking the pellets and it got past the slide plate and fell down to the auger, the only way to access that area is to remove the auger;
Pull slide plate
remove driven sprocket from auger shaft and remove drive chain.
remove the 2 bolts that hold the auger assembly in the feed housing

from inside the fire box take a shortened broom handle or a brass drift, put it against the end of the auger shaft. use a hammer to drive the auger assembly out the back of the feed housing.

ok well not a pellet jam, looks like the motor is blown. Have the whole stove out and apart now and manually turned the auger and emptyed all the pellets, lots of dust but no jam. The feed motor is not engaging so that may be the issue. FYI the motor is a Gleason Avery model 904 series, they have a website (google Gleason Avery) and sell the motors. Co is in Auburn NY and motor lists for 79.95. Will call them in the am and double check and see if they can overnight it. Im sure Harmon will list the motor for a lot more $$$ but will check with them tomorrow too. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the help.

patti said:
ok well not a pellet jam, looks like the motor is blown. Have the whole stove out and apart now and manually turned the auger and emptyed all the pellets, lots of dust but no jam. The feed motor is not engaging so that may be the issue. FYI the motor is a Gleason Avery model 904 series, they have a website (google Gleason Avery) and sell the motors. Co is in Auburn NY and motor lists for 79.95. Will call them in the am and double check and see if they can overnight it. Im sure Harmon will list the motor for a lot more $$$ but will check with them tomorrow too. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the help.
Actually your dealer should have them a little cheaper about $76.
FWIW the output shaft Diameter is bigger on the stock GA motor, the 3/8" shaft is made for Harman and If you want to buy one I think they will sell it but they have a minimum quantity of 5 I believe........went over this years ago with the engineers at GA when the gears were breaking :roll:
To double check your motor plug it into a 110v outlet and see if it works, you could have a bad Vacuum switch or board...
EDIT.......
The coil should have a resistance between 7&8;ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.