Has anybody else tryed this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Harmon p38 manual light pellet stove.One time I can light it on the 1st try with gel.The next time it will take me 3 tries and around 45 min,no joke.I was surfing the net and found this method.I've tried it 3 times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.This has worked all 3 times just like the video shows.Maybe this will help someone else that has a manual light.I haven't tried the hand cleaner yet,but I can't see it working any better
than this?It just takes a dab of the lighter fluid ,a bottle would last for years.
Tony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Opg3kSGQOM

Tony, I didn't watch the video, but I doubt if it is easier than my method.

I have a P38 also, I was asking the dealer about how to start it and about gel etc etc. This is what he told me he does, he uses a small propane torch. I said I have one, hit the trigger and it starts. I think it cost $29 and Home Depot. It starts in less than a minute, no messing around with any gel. I just clean the burn pot and put in a cup full of pellets. Starts right up.

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
Tony, I didn't watch the video, but I doubt if it is easier than my method.

I have a P38 also, I was asking the dealer about how to start it and about gel etc etc. This is what he told me he does, he uses a small propane torch. I said I have one, hit the trigger and it starts. I think it cost $29 and Home Depot. It starts in less than a minute, no messing around with any gel. I just clean the burn pot and put in a cup full of pellets. Starts right up.

Tom C.
I'II give that a try also...
Thanks
tony

I've got a bottle of gel also, but prefer the propane torch!
30sec-1min. and as soon as I shut the door, hit the on switch and it has worked every time!

I wouldn't do it. Paper embers or pieces can get sucked through exchangers then get into the exhaust fan blades and cause more issues. Soak a hand full (in a cup) of pellets in fire starter gel for 10 minutes then place in firepot and light. It shouldn't give you a problem. It's easy and safe.

LIpelletpig said:
I wouldn't do it. Paper embers or pieces can get sucked through exchangers then get into the exhaust fan blades and cause more issues. Soak a hand full (in a cup) of pellets in fire starter gel for 10 minutes then place in firepot and light. It shouldn't give you a problem. It's easy and safe.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thats something to consider,I clean it weekly.I'II check for residue...
Thanks

The use of any lighter fluid has problems all by itself. The first of which is in a confined space with enough vaporization occurring it can go boomy and you don't want any boomy in the stove with your face or other body parts nearby.

I wouldn't use paper or the lighter fluid.

And MAPP gas in the torch does it even faster!

Tony.

I have a 1994 Breckwell P24 insert that is also a manual light stove. What I do is make my own starter pellets. I don’t know if this will work for your Harmon but I will through it out there for you to decide. I have been doing this for more than 15 years.

I fill a 32oz glass jar with pellets. I actually use more than one jar.
I fill the jar of pellets with charcoal lighter fluid and seal it.
Let the jar sit long enough for the pellets to soak up the lighter fluid. (days?, week?)
When the jar has sat long enough fill up another jar with pellets.
I place the second jar in a larger container, coffee can.
Use a funnel and pour the fluid from the first jar into the second jar.
The larger container is used to catch any spillage.
Top off the second jar with lighter fluid. Seal it and let it sit until needed.
Put the soaked (starter) pellets from the first jar into a sealable container of your choice.

To start my stove:
I fill the burn pot about half way full of dry pellets.
I sprinkle some starter pellets on top of the dry pellets and even them out.
I open my damper and light the starter pellets keeping the door ajar, not closed.
I let the pellets burn for about 1-2 minutes so they get red.
I then turn my stove on so the combustion blower will start up.
This helps the pellets burn better.
I let the pellets burn for another 1-2 minutes with the door still ajar.
When I see a good flame I close the door, adjust my damper and start the auger.
I manually feed a few pellets.
I’m good to go.

Suggestions:
Don’t be impatient (like my wife) and not give the starter pellets enough time to burn.
Don’t be cheap (like me) and not put enough starter pellets in the pot to begin with.

Attachments

• Pic 01b.jpg
    Pic 01b.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 350
  • Pic 02b.jpg
    Pic 02b.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 356
  • Pic 03b.jpg
    Pic 03b.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 347
  • Pic 04b.jpg
    Pic 04b.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 341
I have a P61a and I don't even bother with the auto lite feature any mone. The torch is faster, and doesn't wear out the ignitor.

I put pellets in the burn pot, add gel, mix it with pellets, add more pellets, add more gel, mix it, Leave Door Open, Turn On the stove, light it, & leave the door open just a crack, ( I seem to get a better,larger, starting flame)for a minute or less, close it up and away it goes. Practice, you'll get it, it'll take afew times to get it down. I also used Rutland Fire Starter mini squares with gel under the pellets, but I've graduated. I went thru the same thing when I first started burning coal, now pellets. ....

Thanks Roadstar for the detailed info with pictures.Thanks all others for the great input.I'm really going to try alot of these and see what works best for me.I just don't have goot luck with gel.
Thanks,
tony

Status
Not open for further replies.