Has anyone ever used a screw type log spitter on a PTO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam's got one. I think he's got pics linked in his signature. He'll be along, I'm sure. Rick

Nasty things those are! Much better to get a good hydraulic splitter. 20 ton works great.

At my former home when I was still splitting by hand, my neighbor came over with his PTO Stickler to help me with a few stringy pieces that I had given up on. We fought with the wood and all we managed to do was to turn it into some weird wood sculpture that I later burned on my brush pile.

I saw a video of one on the front of a skid steer where you didn't have to handle the wood, just attack it from the driver's seat.

I thought about getting a PTO-driven splitter for my little M-F tractor. Not the screw type, but a conventional ram type. But I really like to use the loader bucket to move rounds to the splitter and splits to the shed, depending on where I decide to set up the splitter. Having a self-contained gas powered hydraulic splitter allows me the flexibility to do that, without having the two machines married together. Less wear & tear on the tractor, too. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.