Has anyone tried

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoop832

Nov 21, 2010
Northern NJ
waxing the front glass to keep it clean? I was thinking about this today... Thanks A

Think wax would attract the particulate to the glass sir???

Well let me specify... Car wax or rainx.. Something to keep the glass real slick so nothing can stick to it or should I just go to bed now... LOL

I'd be afraid to try any chemicals on it because it isn't just plain glass. It's a special ceramic material. AND it's expensive.

tjnamtiw said:
I'd be afraid to try any chemicals on it because it isn't just plain glass. It's a special ceramic material. AND it's expensive.

And let's not forget it is also very hot in there :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

So is a car in the summer time. It's probably even hotter then most stoves.. I would think, but I could be wrong to. As far as the glass is concerned I've been using windex on it with no ill affects. Basically I just want to know if anyone has tried something like this before. Hmmm.. I don't know... just thinking of a way to keep the glass clean longer that's all!!!

Andy40 said:
.....As far as the glass is concerned I've been using windex on it with no ill affects......

Windex is mostly water with some ammonia and alcohol of which most all of it evaporates. Rain-X leaves a coating.

If it screws-up the ceramic "glass", don't say we didn't warn you.

That said, there IS a stove glass cleaner that has silicone in it to make the actual cleaning easier after the 1st application:

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=43

Andy40 said:
So is a car in the summer time. It's probably even hotter then most stoves.. I would think, but I could be wrong to. As far as the glass is concerned I've been using windex on it with no ill affects. Basically I just want to know if anyone has tried something like this before. Hmmm.. I don't know... just thinking of a way to keep the glass clean longer that's all!!!

This is WAY hotter than a car in the summer! Most of us here just use a wet rag to clean the window and deal with how often it has to be done. I understand where you are coming from but the air wash system seems to be the best solution. I've also read that the chemicals in Windex can and have discolored the glass on some stoves because of the residue left behind, possibly. Everyone has their own opinions on this one and it keeps showing up on the forum. Perhaps polishing the glass with something like the headlight restoring systems advertised now??? By the way, toothpaste works just as well for that!!!!

Andy40 said:

Not even in the ballpark. Inside that burn pot the temps get well over 1000 degrees.

RTV sealant placed on the outside of the the burn pot will burst into flames.

Thanks Guys I appreciate the info!!! I think it's time for bed to clear my mind.... @^#&^&$%@^#69

Status
Not open for further replies.