Hauled and Split today before the big storm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
It was really nice out today, snow was melting, 35 °F , sunny. So I hauled and split some of what I have been cutting. The big storm that's coming looks like it will spare no one. Sounds like a real nasty one. Here in IL, we are supposed to start with freezing rain, then snow (as much as 12 inches) then high winds, and then sub zero temperatures. Yikes! Hope everyone is ready. :smirk:

Attachments

• Splitting 11 edit.jpg
    Splitting 11 edit.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 423
It was nice over here also. I moved about 3/4 of a cord to the porch. First I had to dig to and than dig out the wood pile. But I did make it to my girls basketball pratice :)

Yeah i spent the day outside as well. Splittin, stackin, coverin, etc... They still don't know what it's gonna do in this area but could be ice or LOTS of snow. Oh well either way im ready. Got the generators ready to go once again and plenty of wood in the house. Looks like it'll be more long hrs plowin then home to a nice warm house and a beer!

[quote author="tfdchief" date="1296454435"]

Nice work tfdchief, I can take the snow or the wind but the ice thrown in with the other two mean trouble. Stay safe, the warm part you have taken care of.

Zap

Yep, thats pretty much the status quo NE Kansas. I spent Saturday and Sunday cutting and splitting with the neighbors for the week supply. Plus even had enough time (about 1 1/2 Hr) to go recover about 1 cord of wood from a Craigslist on Saturday. Busy weekend, but a good one.

chvymn99 said:
Yep, thats pretty much the status quo NE Kansas. I spent Saturday and Sunday cutting and splitting with the neighbors for the week supply. Plus even had enough time (about 1 1/2 Hr) to go recover about 1 cord of wood from a Craigslist on Saturday. Busy weekend, but a good one.

Did you say , the wood you just cut & split was for this coming week, to burn?
Good job, but hopefully you meant the wood you just cut this week is for next years supply.

Good weekends worth of work! Nice to have good neighbors. Makes it more fun.

tfdchief said:
It was really nice out today, snow was melting, 35 °F , sunny. So I hauled and split some of what I have been cutting. The big storm that's coming looks like it will spare no one. Sounds like a real nasty one. Here in IL, we are supposed to start with freezing rain, then snow (as much as 12 inches) then high winds, and then sub zero temperatures. Yikes! Hope everyone is ready. :smirk:

Nice set-up.
Mild here usually means nasty in the Northern Mid West.
It's mild here.

I was outside today also....just above freezing. I grabbed a bunch of long dead stuff to supplement my dwindling pile....I think I'm going to have to buy some of those bio blocks or whatever they are called. I'm hurting for wood and the scrounged stuff, although fine, is hard to get to the house. My 4-wheeler won't go through all this snow, and I just barely will. I'm a big stong guy, even though I'm getting older, but pulling this stuff through up to 2.5' of snow is too much of a workout. The whole time I was out there I was confirming I'd never get behind again. Once the melt happens, I'm going to do all I can to get three years ahead.

P.S. One of the deads I brought in was a barkless cedar, probably 14" diameter. This things been there for many years propped up on a stone wall, just like it fell. When I bucked it and split it, the meter was reading 15%. Lesson learned just a couple hours ago: super dry cedar throws out s#!t BTUs. I never knew until now how much I'd miss my three year aged oak.

I'm in Northern IL and they say it's coming. I need to get some more wood to the house so I don't need to go out on tuesday.

I've been snowed in for a month. We have about 2' on the ground now. I had to dig a path to the pile to get wood for the porch. My splitter is in the garage and logs are way in the back. I did have a short time in mid january that I was able to restock. Hope I can get back to the wood soon!

I feel for you guys who already have 2 feet of snow :-S Unfortuanately, I think you are going to get some more! This storm is so BIG, it looks like it is going to pound a lot of us. Every forcast I have read for the last 3 days, just gets worse, not better. Now in stead of 12 in. for the north 2/3 of IL, they are talking maybe 20 :-S

bogydave said:
chvymn99 said:

Did you say , the wood you just cut & split was for this coming week, to burn?
Good job, but hopefully you meant the wood you just cut this week is for next years supply.

Good weekends worth of work! Nice to have good neighbors. Makes it more fun.

Ya, its for the neighbor, since he'd already ran through his wood stash. We cut & split some 3 year stock for him. You sure can go through quite abit of wood with 3 people in a couple hours of labor.

I've got enough wood to last me and start next year. I just have to split my chunks into usually 1/2 the size due to the size of the stove.

c99
Got ya.
Hunker down. Storm got to be getting close.
Sounds like you are prepared, now the snow can be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.