Haulin some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseCrusher

Feb 26, 2010
binghamton, ny
Got all this free. Was in log length in a big pile. There is oak, maple, locust, and hickory. It ended up being five truck loads and one dump trailer. Good score. it has been cut sense last fall. I cut it up into rounds and have been trying to split it small. I have it stacked in a single row open to sun and wind. Do you think it will be ready this winter to burn in an oslo?

Attachments

• IMG00693-20100626-1351.jpg
    IMG00693-20100626-1351.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG00695-20100626-1351.jpg
    IMG00695-20100626-1351.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 442
I would have separated the locust and the oak. The oak will take the longest (at least 2 yrs) the locust will take 6 mos if stacked ideally. The rest will season in 1 yr.

If that is what you have "it" will have to be ready. Will it be ideal? Perhaps not, but just make sure you inspect your chimney more often and provide a little more air if required during the burn. From what I read you should have set the oak aside for next year.

Good scrounge though.

maple probably won't be too bad.
I would have put the oak aside for next year. It will probably burn this Winter, but you'd get more heat out of it next Winter, maybe even more the Winter after that..

Dunno 'bout hickory or locust.

I don't start to count seasoning time until it's split and stacked

standing dead for a long time I'll make exception to

I kinda tried to keep them separate. I put the oak and hickory towards then end of the pile. The ash and maple are up front. I have seen people cut up a loads of logs that got delivered this time of year and they burn it right away. So I guess I am farther ahead then some people.

Yeah yeah. Safety first! Had them in the back of my truck from work. I do get a lil crazy when I am swingin that maul!

I'd set 5 of them around the perimeter and wear one on my head for visibility. :p Rick

Don't split that stuff you want to save till next year too small. You are going to learn to love large dry splits of oak. In fact you are going to learn to love large dry splits of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.