Have builtin Whole Home Fire Suppress System (Sprinklers) Q?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levamealone

Mar 29, 2011
Lakes Region, NH
We purchased our home new in 2007 and all new builds in this area have to have a whole house Fire Sprinkler System (water), the kind
that are in the ceilings.
Our stove is in the basement where the sprinkler heads are exposed, at what temperature would they go off?
We got little to no info. when we moved in. I know there are some pros. on this form (fireman, fire prevention professionals) that might have an answer or two.

Harman P68

I would check who did the install and talk to them... there isn't a "set" temp, it depends on application.

170,180,190 three kinds That I know of. The color in the glass will give it away. No need to worry unless your flue is like a foot away or less.... :cheese:
I run a 190 about 4 foot away from the stack.

smokinjay said:
170,180,190 three kinds That I know of. The color in the glass will give it away. No need to worry unless your flue is like a foot away or less.... :cheese:
Thanks, they have a red liquid in them. My web search said 155 to 186 degrees.
The closest head is in the ceiling mid room 12 feet from stove and pellet stove pipe goes out wall half way to ceiling.
It is the one thing I forgot to check when doing my research before install.

Levamealone said:
smokinjay said:
Thanks, they have a red liquid in them. My web search said 155 to 186 degrees.
The closest head is in the ceiling mid room 12 feet from stove and pellet stove pipe goes out wall half way to ceiling.
It is the one thing I forgot to check when doing my research before install.

12 foot would be nice if it was a little closer, but the lower temp in your favor. Sounds like you are in very good shape. My brother installs these systems for Synco I believe.

I would guess you should be fine . . . as Smokinjay mentioned the color often gives away the temp at which they go off . . . sometimes you can also look at the head and it will have the set temp stamped into it.

I suspect if you are worried about an accidental discharge . . . you would be more likely to have it go off accicdentally if you knock something into it than you would by running your pellet stove. Truthfully, having a sprinkler system is a good feature to have in a home . . . I know the NFPA says they are life saving devices, but to be honest I think they do an even better job at protecting property.

firefighterjake said:
I would guess you should be fine . . . as Smokinjay mentioned the color often gives away the temp at which they go off . . . sometimes you can also look at the head and it will have the set temp stamped into it.

I suspect if you are worried about an accidental discharge . . . you would be more likely to have it go off accicdentally if you knock something into it than you would by running your pellet stove. Truthfully, having a sprinkler system is a good feature to have in a home . . . I know the NFPA says they are life saving devices, but to be honest I think they do an even better job at protecting property.

Thanks for your input guys! I will sleep better!

Status
Not open for further replies.