HD PELLET ALEART

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
was just the hd by my house (off or rt 15 south ) and they have pellets for 195 a ton before any distcounts

They have been $197 for the past month or so, by me. Definitely check the brand before you buy though.

209. here in Maine. Stove Chow though. Life is too short to burn crappy pellets. I'll pay the extra for good stuff.

Schmeg,

Love your signature!!!! Couldn't agree more on both.

schmeg said:
209. here in Maine. Stove Chow though. Life is too short to burn crappy pellets. I'll pay the extra for good stuff.

Well that makes me feel better in my first year burning pellets. Since the folks here talked me into a basement full of Stove Chow last Spring. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
schmeg said:

Well that makes me feel better in my first year burning pellets. Since the folks here talked me into a basement full of Stove Chow last Spring. :ahhh:

They'll be ok if ya never burn them. :lol:

smoke show said:
BrotherBart said:
schmeg said:

They'll be ok if ya never burn them. :lol:

Oh I'll burn'em. Burned for a week and will probably start again after the warm spell next week.

The joy of not know how anything else burns.

I tried a few bags of Stove Chow and while I liked them OK at the time - this was when the stove was first installed a few weeks ago - I had no good basis for comparison. In retrospect they were not too hot and very dirty. Now our HD has American Wood Fiber pellets, still at $3.94/bag or $197/ton, as of earlier this week, which I think are a lot better than the Chow I tried.

My local supermarket is selling pellets (named Appalachian Wood) apparently made by the same outfit as the Chow (if I am correctly remembering something I read on another thread here) : Premier Pellet Corp. of Pennsylvania.

The price is much higher than Chow - at 6.49/bag. I tried a few bags and loved them. That doesn't mean too much given my limited experience, but the pellets are uniform and small, very little dust or fines, burn way hotter than some others I have tried, and the ash is very light, fine and not abundant.

While they are stored "outside", it is under a deep portico/overhang where they usually have soil in the summer and cases of soda and water. Since they are a supermarket and not a home center they are not used to outside storage for their merchandise, so all the bags were high and dry. My stove seems to love them.

I am going to see if I can cut a deal with the store for a discounted price and get them to order me a pallet, which I can drag home in about 4 trips with my son and save a delivery charge, thereby bringing the real price down compared to some others with a $60 delivery charge.

BrotherBart said:
schmeg said:

They also say you should test burn a few bags before you buy a TON! :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
schmeg said:

Yep These Hooligans on this site...Bunch of Bullies, Calling you dirty names, terroristic threats, waterboarding, twisting your arm behind your back...Heck, I would have bought a basement full of Stove Chow also. ;-P

Eatonpcat said:
Yep These Hooligans on this site...Bunch of Bullies, Calling you dirty names, terroristic threats, waterboarding, twisting your arm behind your back...Heck, I would have bought a basement full of Stove Chow also. ;-P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eatonpcat said:
BrotherBart said:
schmeg said:

We actually prefer keel hauling to water boarding ....

Laughing at myself is one of my favorite pass times. And I sure do enough dumb things to keep me in laughs.

Hate to get back on topic while we are all having such a good laugh, but thought I would mention that our HD (Mohegan Lake, NY - Westchester County) raised their price this week from 197/ton to 209/ton. A modest increase but worth noting nonetheless.

They have a few pallets of Stove Chow and a few more of American Wood Fibers left. They are expecting a new shipment - brand unknown - on the 14th or 15th.

Just sayin.

BrotherBart said:
schmeg said:

Hello

Stove Chow is much better this year. I have some and they burn great!

"Igor - put another bag of Stove Chow in the hopper right now!"

"Yes Pellet stove Master"

Attachments

• AutoFeedPelletsSC.jpg
    AutoFeedPelletsSC.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 305
Status
Not open for further replies.