Heard of these pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackdog

Oct 27, 2008
Ohio
Got a chance to buy some pellets I've never heard of from a guy that has a flooring store. The company is simply called "Wood Pellet Co.". The pellets are in a pretty plain white bag with the company name in black and the rest of the wording in orange. It says it is a division of C and C Smith Lumber Company out of Summerhill, PA. It also says they are premium hardwood pellets. In our area, all we have available within a 20 minute drive is Pennington (which our stove doesn't like), Propellets, that we have used for the last 2 years but $240 a ton and American Wood Fiber, stored outside at TSC. The guy is willing to sell for $190 a ton but doesn't want to order them unless he knows he can unload them. We hate to commit not knowing because it is too hot to see what they can do but we need to make our purchase for the season. Anyone heard of these that can help??????

I will rate them in order of how they burned in my stove.

1=AWF burned nice, clean and hot! above average. :)

2=Propellet Not a bad pellet but not as hot and clean as the AWF. slightly above average. :)

3=Wood Pellet Co. Burned with good heat but had more ash than the other 2. about average overall!

Penningtons were below average for me. Not a lot of heat and pretty dirty. Shoulder pellet at best! :smirk:

You don't say what brand of stove you are using. I run a Quad 1200 insert and it loves these pellets. I have burned them for two years and have had only one auger jam. I don't think the pellets caused the jam, just the operator let them run dry and the fines at the bottom had something to do with it. The bags in the past have had some long pellets which some stoves don't like. Could be a problem. I hear that this problem should be fixed for this years batch. $190.00 a ton is a good price as I paid $230.00 in July when I bought my supply for the winter.

We have a Harmon P68. I forgot mention we tried Michigan's once when our stove dealer ran out of Propellets temporarily. They were awful. Not warm at all and EXTREMELY ashy...at least in our stove. I am tempted to try the Wood Pellet Company pellets. I just want to be warm with as little ash as possible. We have 2 TSC'S in our area. I found out one of them stores their pellets inside. Maybe we should get 2 tons of AWF and 2 tons of Wood Pellet Co. instead of all 4 tons from Wood Pellet Co. At $240 a ton maybe we will pass on Propellets this year. Decisions...decisions! :)

Ok...just found both pellet comparison charts on this board and we are going to pass on the Wood Pellet Co. I think. They compare pretty close in ash content and temperature to the Michigans which our stove hates. We dislike them so much we still have a half ton that I hate the thought of using because they are so ashy. We can get the AWF at TSC for less then the Propellets and the AWF seem to rate pretty well in the test for heat and ash. I hope I wasn't told wrong by the cashier at the one TSC that they are stored indoors. I want to make the purchase and be waiting for the change in weather instead of fooling around and have to run the furnace. (propane) Thanks for the info....always great info and help here.

melkyleb2002 said:
.....We can get the AWF at TSC for less then the Propellets and the AWF seem to rate pretty well in the test for heat and ash.......

I test burned the AWF also, and liked them. If the price is right, grab some.

Status
Not open for further replies.