Heard the saw running (cont.)...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
They guys said that I couldn't take anything until the saws quit running. So around lunch time the buzzing sound ceased and I made a bee-line around the corner. I was hoping for a much bigger scrounge but I took what I could get. Some box elder (holy crap this stuff is light and spongy), Mulberry (very heavy and wet) and Cherry.

Attachments

• Asplundh Scrounge.jpg
    Asplundh Scrounge.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 353
  • Scrounge Bucked.jpg
    Scrounge Bucked.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 353
A box elder split and a pile o' color.

Attachments

• Box Elder Split.jpg
    Box Elder Split.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Scrounge Pile.jpg
    Scrounge Pile.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 367
Stax said:
They guys said that I couldn't take anything until the saws quit running. So around lunch time the buzzing sound ceased and I made a bee-line around the corner. I was hoping for a much bigger scrounge but I took what I could get. Some box elder (holy crap this stuff is light and spongy), Mulberry (very heavy and wet) and Cherry.

Nice score Stax, they all add up. How does the Mulberry burn?

zap

zapny said:
Stax said:

Nice score Stax, they all add up. How does the Mulberry burn?

zap

Very good once its dried.Very close in density & heat value to Red Oak.Dries much quicker,around here its good to go in 12 to 18 months,Red/White Oak is 2 yrs minimum,unless its standing dead - that can bring it down to a year if in spot that gets plenty of wind.

Very good once its dried.Very close in density & heat value to Red Oak.Dries much quicker,around here its good to go in 12 to 18 months,Red/White Oak is 2 yrs minimum,unless its standing dead - that can bring it down to a year if in spot that gets plenty of wind.[/quote]

What is a good way to check besides a moisture meter to see how dry a dead standing tree is? Will be getting some dead oak standing for about 12 months now but how do i know how dry it is to let it sit for another 12 or doe s it need laonger.

RORY12553 said:
Very good once its dried.Very close in density & heat value to Red Oak.Dries much quicker,around here its good to go in 12 to 18 months,Red/White Oak is 2 yrs minimum,unless its standing dead - that can bring it down to a year if in spot that gets plenty of wind.

What is a good way to check besides a moisture meter to see how dry a dead standing tree is? Will be getting some dead oak standing for about 12 months now but how do i know how dry it is to let it sit for another 12 or doe s it need laonger.[/quote]

If the tree's been standing dead a few years you usually get lucky & most everything up to 5"-6" diameter can be dry enough to burn well immediately.Look for silver-grey outside with little or no bark remaining & 1 or more long vertical cracks on upper tops & branches.As you get further down the trunk the moisture content can be much higher,you'll notice this in the darker wetter looking chips & pieces being heavier.Those can take from 1 to 2 yrs to dry once split & stacked.I let all my wood set for 2 yrs minimum,except for that which is obviously drier when first cut.Its stacked separate from the wetter stuff.

Some woods are drier than others - Maples & Ashes dry quickly,same with Hickories,compared to usual slower Oaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.