Hearth extension finished (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I finally finished the hearth pad extension.
I think it turned out pretty good. I didn't want it to really stand out.
Was wanting it to kind of blend in with the rest of the fireplace.
Ive got 26" from hearth to carpet. I removed the carpet and laid some 1/2"
hardi backer. Tiled and grouted. I had the carpet finished, cut, tack stripped and tucked for $75.00
I am no carpet guy so it was worth it.

Any suggestions what to do with the old registers in the front?

Brad

Attachments

• DSC03008.JPG
    DSC03008.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 942
  • DSC03012.JPG
    DSC03012.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 930
  • DSC03006.JPG
    DSC03006.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 943
Hey that turned out great! You got a BLAZE KING there?

As for those registers, first thing I'd do is get a can of stove paint and paint 'em black, OR, you could get some decorative cast iron to go over those openings, OR, maybe a nicely painted scene on slate, screw that on there.

Yeah its a BlazeKing , and i love it!
Ya know i never thought of painting black.
Might actually look cool.
Thanks!

Brad

It looks good! One word of caution - and i think it's not applicable in your case due to the extremely tall hearth and the fact you have an insert - is that Hardi-Backer is not recommended for most hearth applications. Like I said, probably not an issue in this case but a word of warning to other viewers where the heat will be directly over the Hardibacker - it's a genuine concern.

Where do those heat registers go? Part of the house HVAC system? Or part of whatever used to be in the fireplace? Are they still doing anything?

As far as i know i am only in need of ember protection with my set up.

The registers are part of the old fireplace. I suppose they were to bring in cold
air from the floor and heat it. I dont know it never really did much. They are not doing anything right now.

Brad

Just noticed the Strat and it hit me: Custom inset subwoofer / speaker panels. Freakin' sweet!

Nice work on the extension Brad. I bet you were finally able to give your heating machine a workout through that cold snap. Im sure glad your loving your new investment. The BK that is.
N of 60

Nice clean job there. It looks great. Looks like it has the seal of approval from junior too!

Edthedawg said:
Just noticed the Strat and it hit me: Custom inset subwoofer / speaker panels. Freakin' sweet!
1963_headbanger_playing_an_electric_guitar.gif

Thanks guys!

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.