Hearth help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonymonki

Jan 14, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello again!

Progressing well with the fireplace restoration (gas to solid fuel). Wondered if anybody had advise on the following;

I'm having the gas feed stripped out shortly and have a quote for restoring the hearth area. However I tend to think I could do it myself.

Questions are;

In the picture you can see the slate hearth (probably needs to be replaced to reduce risk of cracking under heat) and also the area where the fire basket will eventually sit. This is raised about 4 or 5 inches higher than the slate hearth.

Should this be the case or should they be level?
The raised area has been smashed at the front to make way for the gas pipe and ideally needs replacing. What material should I use for this? Do you think I can patch this up or would the right approach be to rip the whole raised area out and start again?

I guess there's a name for the raised area but I've no idea what it is!

Thanks!

Spoon

Attachments

• Hearth 1.jpg
    Hearth 1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Hearth 2.jpg
    Hearth 2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 240
Status
Not open for further replies.