hearth members tell me about the jotul f3 cb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guys been busy with work raising kids and doing a little garden work. I got question for you jotul owners. My mother is building a den room and have been wanting to get a wood burner for it ,but i don't want them to settle for a cheap wood stove that are sold at our local hardware stores so i have been looking on craiglist and seen a jotul f3 cb for sale they say it is only two years ld and is great condition, T he pics look good and worth looking at in person for sure. my question is would a two year old jotul be worth 800 dollars? they stated the stove sells for 1500 dollars and i have not checked on prices yet . It about a four hour drive to go look at it so give me some input guys. I want to buy them a stove and not have to spent a whole right now with the way things are right now.

Yes good price on the stove if in good shape. They are built like a tank. The fire box is not very big though so reloads are often. I have small area and this was the only stove that would fit the bill for my space. Hope this helps some...

Yep, the little stove is known to be a well built, reliable unit. It IS small with about a 3 or 4 hours burn time. That doesn't sound like too bad of a price to me. What can ya say - its a Jotul - they have been doing this for a long time.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
The F3CB is a decent small stove. It has relatively short burn times, but is a capable small heater. Is the stove enameled? $800 seems a little high for a painted unit, but I haven't checked on recent pricing. Before traveling a long distance be sure to confirm no cracking at all around the grate.

Another alternative, that is new, though more contemporary would be the Englander VL 17 for $649 delivered.

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html

Had it since 10/2012, first stove and all that goes with it. It was from a stove shop and never used but had a few nicks, under ashtray, under door, all not seen (brown enamel). Shop sold unblemished new for $2300, got this for $1500. Your price sounds good, great stove. Holds 18" tops, 19" can go but has to be thin and angled in, not worth it. Burn is good but begreen is right, you can stuff it and cut the air intake for slow burn, gets 350 - 400f. Jotul says stay at 400f to 600f. I have 2 stories and 1450sq ft, 2 3rds of second story is closed (2 bedrooms), 22 windows all new replacement and no insulation. The room it is in is very nice even in cold weather but since this is my first winter, 11/12, and so mild I can not give advice on really cold weather. Get the manual from Jotul on their website but more important than that, get your advice from here, really worth it.

$2300 for an F3CB? I don't think so. I think they retail for about $600 less.

Reactions: smallvthouse
$2300 for an F3CB? I don't think so.
Begreen it is possible that an enameled one goes for around that but am not positive, I was set on flat black and stove shop wanted $1700.00 but said a sale was coming up plus they had a $300.00 tax break. I ended getting mine from the factory in Maine through a relative so got a big discount.

Yes, that sounds about right for the painted version. I would guess about $1900 for an enameled. As an aside this is serious inflation which has tamed down with the drop of the euro. For point of reference I paid $1349 for an enameled F3 in 2005 and $1600 for an enameled F400 in 2006. Both were summertime purchases.

Sorry, but I live on the right coast, not the left. The mark up is considerable and I did not want to chance a used (too new on wood burning). I said it before, plenty of stuff in southern NH but little info. Lots of pre EPAs and home owners trying to get out of paying the price of #2 oil. Sooooooooooo my user name says it all, and I probably got my Jotul for what a new one was worth but the nicks don't show. Some day, may upgrade, but as I type, 45f outside all day and 68f inside, both floors. Happy, Happy, Happy...

LOL They're more expensive over here. (Imported from Norway via Maine).

Good to hear that you are a happy camper. Can you add you stove to your signature when you get a chance?

I think I did it BG. Really like the whole wood stove experience, can't wait until a cold winter/real winter.

its a renowned stove for sure (like a vermont castings aspen), if you really like the look of an enameled stove you can always just take the door and top off and have those two pieces dipped (pick your own custom color too! ) hehehe

Hmm, from the reviews I've read the Aspen has not been well received. Surprised to hear that as a comparison.

Reactions: neumsky
ive used the aspen fine, its a small stove to be sure, problems occur 90% when a stove is overfired or stuffed so much in an attempt to get long burn times that proper air circulation around the wood (critical for good woodburning, not so much for coal burning) is hindered.

I would not use an aspen thinking its a good heat source for a 2000 sq' home, but as a beautiful stove to supplement my dining area its just the ticket in my eyes...

ok Joe, how the heck do you post utube vids and have them show on forum like that, christ sakes your older then me and they didn't have computers when i was in school.

that second vid appears like the dude is baffled o.0, keeps looking, checking, showing, but cant seem to light a gosh damb match LOL ... #1 for me please!

ok Joe, how the heck do you post utube vids and have them show on forum like that, christ sakes your older then me and they didn't have computers when i was in school.

that second vid appears like the dude is baffled o.0, keeps looking, checking, showing, but cant seem to light a gosh damb match LOL ... #1 for me please!

Copy the "Share" URL from youtube and paste it in the media pop-up box. Media button is the one that looks like a film strip. (Bottom row, 3rd from the right.)

Copy the "Share" URL from youtube and paste it in the media pop-up box. Media button is the one that looks like a film strip. (Bottom row, 3rd from the right.)

I see it!!! Im new and ive always used Vb forums (which dont have that simple option) it always required some degree of coding knowledge. now i have to think of a topic i can test this out with :p TY (sorry to mod for off topic convo, im just excited to learn)

I have the opportunity to purchase a green Jotul F3 CB for $575 and the owner says it's 7 years old and he's including 14' of Duravent pipe (stainless). Is that a good price? (I'm out west) The only flaw I can see is some blackening on the front which he says is soot. How can that be cleaned off? Would a stove this age have the catalytic converter and do I need one?

I currently own a Jotul Sebago 400 gas but want to convert to wood.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• green jotul.jpg
    green jotul.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,092
I have the opportunity to purchase a green Jotul F3 CB for $575 and the owner says it's 7 years old and he's including 14' of Duravent pipe (stainless). Is that a good price? (I'm out west) The only flaw I can see is some blackening on the front which he says is soot. How can that be cleaned off? Would a stove this age have the catalytic converter and do I need one?

I currently own a Jotul Sebago 400 gas but want to convert to wood.

Thoughts?

Good looking stove!

I'm not sure if Jotul produces anything bad??? You can't go wrong with Cast Iron!

Is that a good deal for it?
Yes as long as it's not cracked or anything actually the pipe that goes with it is worth a decent amount, you should ask yourself if this stove is big enough for what you are heating....Oh ya, Welcome to the forum, this is an awesome, informative site.

I think it's a great deal if the insides of the stove are ok. Maybe the soot will wipe off with a little elbow grease, don't know.

Keep in mind that you are looking at a small stove with an effective burn time of less than 4 hrs. Dunno, maybe that is what you are looking for, but it is pretty small. Just tossing that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.