hearth mount or insert which one ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morningwood

Oct 23, 2008
OH IO
it's about to get cold here in Ohio, and im just getting ready to buy a wood stove and dont know which way to go,

i have an older farm house 1800 sq ft, existing fire place,

im trying to go the most affordable way, and hopfully the most efficent way

thanks for any help

I put in an insert with a blower to keep as much square footage in the room as possible. I like the setup to move air.

I like heartmount. More area exposed for more radiant heat.

If we can get more information about the fireplace including dimensions, we can be of greater assistance. A photo of the existing setup also can be very helpful.

That's good, you have some room to play with. How is the fireplace constructed? Does it have a flush hearth in front or is it raised?

Are aesthetics a big concern, or do you just want heat? What is the rough budget for the stove, excluding installation costs?

The least expensive would probably be with the Englander insert 13NCi. It's a reasonably priced, medium sized insert.
http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-nci.html

But you might also consider a larger Buck or Enviro insert if you want longer overnight burns and more potential heat.

I might be a bit biased, but I would be tempted to try and stuff a 30-NC in there. You're a little short on height, but if you can't finnagle something you may be able to put the stove in front of the fireplace. I've got a little more square footage, but the place is a little drafty and thus far I'm not too worried about getting heated out of the house.

Regardless of the stove choice, though...

Got wood yet?

I bought a log home that had a heatilator fireplace. I put an insert in and it didn't heat my house at all. I bought another one and it still doesn't heat the house that well. I then bought a wood burning furnace and it helps alot. If I had to do it over again I would buy a free standing stove in a heart beat.

I had one in my old house and with junk wood it would heat the house to where my utility's were under $100 in the winter for 16 years.

Shipper

I'm in the same situation here large fireplace (36x25 opening) with a raised hearth.

I'd love to here some more suggestions for what our options are.

There are many options. Perhaps the most obvious one is an insert, but that's not the only way to go. A hearthstove installation can be very effective and attractive. Another alternative is to seal the old fireplace entirely and mount a freestanding stove in front of it. This will most likely require a hearth extension be built. I'll attach a pic of how ours turned out, but ours was almost a no-brainer, because what we started with was an old "conversation pit" that we didn't want taking up space in our great room. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 467
I really like your setup Rick, except someone left a cat laying on the floor in the picture :cheese:

Am also interested in a freestanding woodstove in a masonry fireplace opening. I'd like to put a Jotual 3TD or 3CB right in the fireplace opening. It will fit. Does anyone know what the flue piping arrangement looks like to go from the 6-inch out of the Jotul to the longish cast iron flue trap door that's there for the fireplace? Can that alll be made up nice with sheet metal or is typically more of a universal thing that is sealed with ceramic insulation or something?? The tile liner is 8x12 and I plan to install a 6-inch stainless steel liner.

Dave

My insert is about 30 years old, but it really puts the heat out. Enough heat that the wife complains about it and closes the bedroom door when she goes to bed. It suits my needs and doesn't take up much space which I like. My hearth extension is only 15 inches so a free standing stove isn't an option.
When I get around to putting a stove in the basement it will be a free standing stove though. Then, I''ll never have to worry about a power outage.

I just got done putting a new englander 13-nci in a few days ago. Not the most beutiful stove but the furnace hasent really kicked on at all. I have 1200sf rancher, stove is in the living room with a outside masonary chimeny. It is around 30 out and its 75-80 in living room, 70 in kitchen and dining, and about 65 in back bed rooms. In the living room door way I have a floor mount fan blowing cold air in, and when you stand in front of my5X4' pass through into the dining room you can feel the warm air just bellowing out. I am happy with it for $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.