Hearth Pad Construction - Need Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plenzlerjm

Dec 17, 2011
Maryland
Hey y'all,

I'm building a hearth pad and would like a sanity check on the following construction.

On top of the hardwood floor, I'm putting down 1/2" plywood, then 5/8" Micore 300, then 1/12" galvanized sheet metal, then 1 3/8" thin brick pavers (no mortar).

I know I'm good with the R-value of the Micore alone as far as heat is concerned (I only need 0.59 for my stove specs).

I figured I could lighten up the hearth pad by omitting a layer of Durock and grout between the sheet metal and brick.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Most folks that use Micore say that due to its nature it is best to make a sandwich of it between cement board . . . then again most also use thinset to keep the stone, pavers, bricks, etc. in place.

Is there any particular reason for not using the Durock . . . I mean adding a sheet of Durock will make it a bit heavier . . . but unless you're planning on moving the hearth a lot that shouldn't be a real issue . . . if the weight concern is due to the weight of the hearth and stove I doubt the Durock will make that much of a significant difference.

firefighterjake said:
Most folks that use Micore say that due to its nature it is best to make a sandwich of it between cement board . . . then again most also use thinset to keep the stone, pavers, bricks, etc. in place.

Is there any particular reason for not using the Durock . . . I mean adding a sheet of Durock will make it a bit heavier . . . but unless you're planning on moving the hearth a lot that shouldn't be a real issue . . . if the weight concern is due to the weight of the hearth and stove I doubt the Durock will make that much of a significant difference.

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned about the weight, but went under the crawlspace and reinforced the floor on a pier of concrete block, a 2x12 and bag of Sackcrete.

I think I'm good on the weight issue and will use the Durock.

Thanks! Joe

I built a 2'x5' hearth extension and it weighed about 150lb. It had 1" plywood, 1/2 micore, 1/2 durock and ceramic tile. So you can use that (10 sqft) as a measure of what your's will weigh. Also important is how you spread that weight. My hearth would be about 15 lbs/sqft. That's like having a small child stand there. If the hearth is solid it will spread the weight of the stove across the hearth. So a 5x5 hearth would have the same lb/sqft weight as mine, add a 400 lb stove and you are still only about 31 lb/sq ft. Now consider a 400 lb fridge sitting on a 3x3 area , that's about 40 lbs/sqft. The big thing is to span as many joists as you can to spread the weight.

rwhite said:
I built a 2'x5' hearth extension and it weighed about 150lb. It had 1" plywood, 1/2 micore, 1/2 durock and ceramic tile. So you can use that (10 sqft) as a measure of what your's will weigh. Also important is how you spread that weight. My hearth would be about 15 lbs/sqft. That's like having a small child stand there. If the hearth is solid it will spread the weight of the stove across the hearth. So a 5x5 hearth would have the same lb/sqft weight as mine, add a 400 lb stove and you are still only about 31 lb/sq ft. Now consider a 400 lb fridge sitting on a 3x3 area , that's about 40 lbs/sqft. The big thing is to span as many joists as you can to spread the weight.

Many thanks for the data and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.