Hearth pad & pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisonbob

Feb 7, 2011
ma southcoast
Thanks to all who recommended Scott of pellet stove service for a professional install. Nice clean work and I am happy with my used englander pvd.This is all new to me. I am now looking for a decent 40 x 40 dark colored hearth pad with oak trim.can anyone recommed a dealer in S.E ma. trying to spend around 300 if possible also any recomendation on where to get pellets at a good price around S.E. ma. I ordered a ton from lowes in seekonk last week for 299 per ton but I cancelled after calling around a few places I could use some help if anyone can help thanks RS

Can't help you on the Hearth. You could make your own if your handy. Do a search for "Hearth Pads". As far as buying a ton of pellets, Always test a few bags to see how your stove likes them. Otherwise you may be left with a ton of "Junk". I burned American Wood Fibers in the past. All Good, but I bought a ton from a dealer who I never bought from before and got a batch that had pellets averaging 2" in length and a lot around 3". Very inconsistent feed rates and some bridging, causing stove to shut down twice. Always try before you buy.

Glad your happy with the install of your Englander. Pellet burning has a learning curve and takes a special person to adhere to the maintenance required. But you have already made a step in the right direction by finding this Forum. Congrats and happy burning. Oh yeah, forgot to tell you, we LOVE pics of installs. Especially of ones burning..

Not sure where to get a hearth pad in SE Mass. I made my own.

They are simple to build and you can do it for way under $100. And make it the shape/size/colors you want.
Do a search for Hearth Pad and you will get lots of ideas.

As for pellets;

I get Okanagans and Vermont's from June at J&S Trucking in Berkley, Ma. They are just off Rt 24 near Taunton.
They have great products and great service.

And they are always good for a story or two..

Few weeks ago (not sure about this week) Okie's were $265 / ton and Vermont's were $250 / ton

This is a pickup yourself place.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Bisonbob said:
Thanks to all who recommended Scott of pellet stove service for a professional install. Nice clean work and I am happy with my used englander pvd.This is all new to me. I am now looking for a decent 40 x 40 dark colored hearth pad with oak trim.can anyone recommed a dealer in S.E ma. trying to spend around 300 if possible also any recomendation on where to get pellets at a good price around S.E. ma. I ordered a ton from lowes in seekonk last week for 299 per ton but I cancelled after calling around a few places I could use some help if anyone can help thanks RS

A nice hearth can be built alot cheaper!! Good Luck

See below

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 250sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 250sc.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 487
  • PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 645
Robbins garden center Just south of Worchester (26 Sutton Ave. Oxford, ma) has hearth pads at under $300 bucks. Good selection of colors with oak trim last time I was up there. Lots of pellet stove supplys and exhaust parts in stock.

Welcome! Glad to hear Scott got you up and running.

No idea on the cost of premade hearth boards, but most hearth dealers offer them.

Ash Away Hearth & Chimney - No Dartmouth
Kirley Masonry - Mansfield
Woodstoves & Fireplaces - Middleboro

As for pellets, always try a few bags before buying in bulk when you can.
Pellets can be found at Dealers, feed stores, bldg supplys, box stores...etc.

The prices vary depending on what brands you want.
Lately, I have seen them range anywhere from $209-$270 a ton around here.
IMO no pellet brand is worth $300 a ton.

I made a hearth out of concrete. Built a frame on the floor, lined it with heavy plastic, mixed concrete with concrete dye and poured it in the form, made a textured surface on it with the trowel. 3 days later I pulled up the frame, trimmed off the plastic and had a nice looking hearth for about $30. My sister just bought a hearth matt at Menards for $39. It looks pretty nice and dead simple. I'd go that route too. It's much lighter then the concrete. I have about 4 bags of 80lb concrete and then a 485 lb stove sittin on that. Floor is saggin a bit now.

Status
Not open for further replies.