Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhredbird

Sep 8, 2011
Southern, NH
OK, stove is on its way!! (10-cpm)
Looking for a good hearth pad to put over rug.
Its a corner install, near our propane fireplace (to be retired).
Only have 48 1\2" of space. Would like a 48"x48" with radius.
I know i can allways tile myself but buying local or online is to easy.

I like that, looks expensive, a little to dark with our decor.
But some of these pre-made tile pads are around $500 +.
Hope to find one cheaper, it is my living room can't have it cheap looking.
I know (get what you pay for).
Still looking for idea's and prices?

If you are handy you can make your own with tile. Construct a small platform and lay some tile down. You get to pick the design and color.

nhredbird said:
I like that, looks expensive, a little to dark with our decor.
But some of these pre-made tile pads are around $500 +.
Hope to find one cheaper, it is my living room can't have it cheap looking.
I know (get what you pay for).
Still looking for idea's and prices?

Looks expensive but I only paid $250. That's about half price compared to the premade pads I looked at.

I went to a quarry/stone place and got 4 2X2 pieces of blue stone and put them directly on the floor for a corner install. However, I have hardwood floors and you have carpet but it still could work. I put felt pads on the bottoms of the stones so as to not scratch the floor. Total cost....$78

$30 worth of Ready Mix and concrete dye makes a nice hearth pad. All you have to do is build the form and line with some 8 mil plastic.

Below is the pad I built. Maybe $100 in materials and a little labor. Boss woman got to pick the tile to keep her happy. Extra room in front to put wet boots when the grandkids come visit this winter.

p43.jpg

All you need is a piece 0f OSB board on bottom, with Dura rock screwed to it. Silicone your tile to Dura rock,then fill joints with a tube of mortor ,Whatever color you like. Trim out around sides and good to go.

I cut out a section of carpet, then tiled straight to the subfloor. I have a Englander 25-PDV, does not require a hearth, only to be placed on a non-combustible floor, 6" clearance to combustible material. Went down to my local countertop/tile shop, and checked the "clearance" pile. Basically items returned from an overpurchase. Found 33 sq. ft. of 18x18" tile for $20. Some mortar, thinset, and a hour of my time. Total cost, somewhere around $50.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/294407_2326854331984_1268446924_2772970_6046126_n.jpg

There are many cool ways to make a very mundane corner stove install come out magnificent.

Here are some piccy's of what we did.

The old stove (earthstove WP50 pellet stove) with some tape and other stuff mocked up, getting ready to get at the project.

We added a raised hearth (about 12 inches high) covered the deck with 2 layers of OSB over the joists and then tiled the entire thing with 3/8 thick ceramic tile.

The wall still needed some serious help.

The cost of brick or plastic Faux brick was just out of the question.

Decided to do a Faux bricked "paint scheme" to get the look.
Then a "mantle" was added to top off the look.

The Mantle is 2X10 lumber with routed edges and the brackets are simple 1/4 X 1-1/2 steel flat bent in a right angle. The supports are good old used horse shoes I got from our own used shoe bucket in the barn.

The entire project cost only a few hundred dollars. The stove was $200 The wood I got from the Home depot and the tile came from the Habitat for Humanity store for $20

The paint cost was only a few dollars too.

The total was probably about $600 or so (No more ??) including the new vent pipe.

You can go as mild or as wild with a stove install and not cost all that much.

One picture shows the finished job with pictures on the mantle and the lived in look.

Attachments

• Adv 2 1.jpg
    Adv 2 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 471
  • mockup1.jpg
    mockup1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 476
  • pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 458
  • tile1.jpg
    tile1.jpg