Hearthstone Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jonboy

Jan 5, 2017
Illinois
Hello, I have a Hearth Stone Phoenix stove with a build date of 1993, burning wood that has been split and in a covered shed for about a year and a half and after just two weeks of burning the chimney pipe was super dirty, to the point that I had to clean it because the creosote had started to peel away from the walls and block off the pipe. My question is could there be something wrong with the stove because I can never seam to get it to do the secondary burn? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More info needed . . .

What temps are you running in the chimney and in the stove? If you're burning too cool, it will produce creosote.

What type of wood are you burning? While some species of wood will season in a year and a half, some wood, such as oak, tend to take longer.

How was the wood stacked? If you take freshly split wood and stack it tightly in a shed, it may take longer to season vs. leaving it outside in the sun in a single or double row where wind can also help dry it out.

How are you running the stove? Do you bring it up to temp and then slowly dial back the air to try to get a secondary burn?

I don't know much about these stoves built in 93 but if like my 05 model, the baffle is important. Does it have a baffle above the tubes and is it in good shape? These stoves have a rep for sending too much heat up the stack but that normally = a clean pipe so probably either the wood is still not dry, running it to cool, or something wrong with the stove.

Get some scrap 2x4s that are super dry and see if you get secondary burn with something like that.

The wood has been stacked allowing both wind and sun to get to it, while also keeping the rain off the wood. Its a mix of all kinds of wood to be honest I burn what I can come across for free except pine. I have tried burning wood that I got from a friend that had been sitting for a few years and still wasn't able to get a secondary burn going. that's why I was leaning towards something possibly being wrong with the stove, I was looking at parts books for them and thought it was odd that in the newer models there is quite a few more parts then the older stove like I have. its almost like they realized something wasn't working right and changed them a lot in the years to come.

I had a Phoenix for 10 years maybe 2003-2013. Zippo creo in my chimney, only had to clean it every 2 years- and even then only a coffee cup of brown stuff would come out.

Everything everyone has said on here is spot on. Yes to to much heat up chimney, yes to your wood being suspect, and yes to somethings wrong with the reburn baffle (if they had those in 1993).