hearthstone heritage hearth ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no stove yet

Feb 26, 2011
new haven county ct
Hi all
I am very new to the world of wood stoves.
My plan is a heritage in front of the fireplace,exterior chimney,good shape and all.
My question is on the hearth requirements and yes I have read the install pages,but guess am a little dense,
is the hearth r-value requirement for the stove body only or do I need r-value of 1.2 for the entire hearth
which as I understand is the side door clearance of 16",rt. side 5" and front of glass 16".so 1.2 for the entire
hearth or just where stove sits.
Thanks a definite newb

no stove yet said:
Hi all
I am very new to the world of wood stoves.
My plan is a heritage in front of the fireplace,exterior chimney,good shape and all.
My question is on the hearth requirements and yes I have read the install pages,but guess am a little dense,
is the hearth r-value requirement for the stove body only or do I need r-value of 1.2 for the entire hearth
which as I understand is the side door clearance of 16",rt. side 5" and front of glass 16".so 1.2 for the entire
hearth or just where stove sits.
Thanks a definite newb

The R-Value of 1.2 is needed for the entire hearth.

Good question and I am not sure of the answer. Surely the R value must be present beneath the stove and within the minimum hearth dimensions but outside of those dimensions why couldn't the hearth be built differently. For instance a flush hearth may be surrounded by tile, where does the hearth end and the floor begin?

Sorry for not putting this in last post. My existing hearth is large enough for the stove itself and the side clearance,so I was considering the proper R-value hearth pad extension to give me off the glass
clearance.This would give me the proper protection-yes? and then I can reclaim my floor space in the off season.
You folks and this forum are a great resource and really great with new guys much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.