HearthStone Heritage Model 8021 Secondary Burn Assembly Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsaicook

Oct 23, 2008
Eastern Seaboard
Can anyone give me a detailed description of removal and re-installation of the secondary burn tubes? I tried last night, and it just seems like I am doing something wrong. I can't imagine it should be this difficult! Also, when I removed the baffle, it had several pieces of cement on it. Is this cause for concern?

I'll bring you up to the top and offer my experience. I remove the baffle only to brush the chimney into the stove, leaving the SS tubes in place. I've also removed the secondary manifold to do a little grinding so we had the thing in our hands. Those tubes are in there firmly and I believe they are sandwiched between the two halves of the cast secondary manifold. From the firebox you can see those screws holding the two halves together.

Why do you want to remove the tubes?

Oh and I had some blobs on top of the baffle too. I think they assmeble the stove from the bottom up and the blobs must have dripped down from the top stones.

Oh, well, there is no ash in the secondary manifold or tubes since it is a sealed air path to outside of the firebox and since the air should always be being sucked out of that manifold. This would be like removing the exhaust manifold on your truck to clean the mud from the inside of the manifold after going off-roading.

To clean above and around the tubes is best done with the shop vac after the baffle has been removed and as part of the chimney cleaning ritual. I will admit to sucking off the outside of the tubes to be sure that the holes are all clear. The only holes you need to worry about are the ones facing the front door. The ash that has made it above the manifold and into the secondary burn chamber will be lightweight fly ash plus whatever was in your chimney. Pay special attention to suck out the little pocket behind the manifold where the plug for the rear exit is bolted in place.

I assume your heritage is top vented but if not, the chimney sweeping won't add any creosote debris to the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.