Hearthstone Heritage question---maybe just a soapstone question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angus in Wyoming

Nov 18, 2008
WYO
Hello all. I have been lurking and have enjoyed the forum. I have a new Heritage stove. So far, I love it. I do have a couple questions. I had to learn a couple things, but we are enjoying some lovely heat. My first question is where should I take the temp of the stove top? Right now I have a thermometer just resting on the top center soapstone. The stove likes to cruise at about 475. I am hoping that this is a good temp to run.
I was also wondering if you have seen a thermo that will stand up on the stove top? I would love to check the stovetop temp from my chair while I am reading a good book instead of having to walk over and and look at it. Don't make fun of me. I like to watch the flames, temp and sometimes just stare. I know you do too.
Thanks for any help you can give. Angus

Welcome Angus!

475 is a solid cruising stove top temp. for a hearthstone soapstone stove. The manual says not to exceed 600 F lest you overfire the stove and risk significant damage. Take the temp. from the top center stone.

I got an infrared thermometer that is rated to 1000 degrees F from Harbor Freight for around 30 bucks. Just point and click. The closer that you are the more accurate, but it will work from the couch. Cat likes to chase the red dot as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?f=bylogo&logourl=Centech.gif&brand=Cen-Tech

Good luck.

Having trouble posting the link, but go to harbor freight's website and look for infrared laser thermometers.

475 sounds good to me. My mansfield is usually in this range. You are coorrect in putting your thermometer on the top center stone, like the manual says. I don't know of any thermometer that would stand up, but if you don't have one already, put a thermometer on your chimney. You'll figure out pretty quick where the chimney is in relation to where your stove top is or will be.

Yeah 475 on a regular basis would be great - i wish i could do that with mine! :)

475*...cruising? aaah beautiful ! mine will cruise in 400's and burn clean and effiecient and put out alot of heat...enjoy your book

Angus in Wyoming said:
Hello all. I have been lurking and have enjoyed the forum. I have a new Heritage stove. So far, I love it. I do have a couple questions. I had to learn a couple things, but we are enjoying some lovely heat. My first question is where should I take the temp of the stove top? Right now I have a thermometer just resting on the top center soapstone. The stove likes to cruise at about 475. I am hoping that this is a good temp to run.
I was also wondering if you have seen a thermo that will stand up on the stove top? I would love to check the stovetop temp from my chair while I am reading a good book instead of having to walk over and and look at it.[/color=red] Don't make fun of me. I like to watch the flames, temp and sometimes just stare. I know you do too.
Thanks for any help you can give. Angus

Angus, how often do you have to look at that temperature?! Once you get the stove all set you really don't have to keep looking over and over. We do glance at ours occasionally if near the stove but unless we start feeling cold or hot, we simply forget about it.

Welcome to the forum and yes, we do like watching the flames, but not the gauge.

Mine cruises at 450 with air shut off and a good load in secondary burn. I would also like a meter that I could read from the room but have never found one and a flue temp meter is absolutely no replacement. That said, temps change slowly and predictably on the stone and I mainly use the meter to determine when to adjust the air at startup and reload.

I'm hoping to score one of those much fancier meters for Xmas. The ones that are not 12$.

Status
Not open for further replies.