Hearthstone Homestead maintenance.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone out there who may have some experience with changing out the baffle in a Hearthstone Homestead model? The same for the fire brick.
I've used the stove for 3 years now. I LOVE it, but it looks like this baffle will need to bechanged this year or next along with some of the brick in the back.
I'm grateful for your time.
-Jim

To replace the baffle on the homestead you will first have to bust out the old one, as it's cemented down. Then remove all the leftover cement. The new baffle will come in one piece, but it must be cut in two in order to fit in. Then you cement the two pieces back together after they are installed. Is the old one cracked? If it's just worn, that's ok as long as it's still intact. As for the bricks, they are soapstone and can be ordered through your dealer. But, in a pinch I suppose they could be replaced with regular firebrick. I've replaced one Homestead baffle due to overfire, do you run it with ash grate in the closed position?

The baffle is still in one piece right now, I just want to know what I am in for when I'll need to change it out. I can't imagine how I'd cement it together once it's above the tubes? The new one would be cut horizontal or length ways? I wish there were a youtube video (hahhah)
As for the brick in the back... they don't seem to be soapstone. The ones on the bottom seem like stone, but the 4 along the back seem to be fire brick. I don't overfire this stove. I've never liked the ash pan so I keep it closed and just shovel it out the ol' fashioned way.
Thanks for sharing!

If I remember right.. the bricks in the back were in fact firebrick.. The manual shows the following part: 95-83700 Firebrick 8 3/32” x 9 7/8” x 11/4”

The baffle is a trick. The answer from the factory is to take the top off the stove.. but I have read that people have removed the air tubes, and then broken/removed the bad baffle, cut the new one, placed it in place, smeared with stove cement.. easy peasy.

Please note.. I never did it myself, just researched it a while back...

There is no need to remove anything but the old baffle, I've done it a few times. I got my instructions from Hearthstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.