Hearthstone II Freestanding Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fayman

Dec 7, 2006
My bro, JMF1, just picked up a Hearthstone II stove this morning for free. Other than being soapstone, we know nothing about it. Just wondering if anyone had any input/real world experience with one.

Man, between this and my Avalon Rainier we found last week for $75, we've got 2 good scores already this season!! :)

hi fayman

i run a hearthstone two. not a bad stove for it's age.
what ever questions you have shoot. there is myself and i think two other people running this stove.
if your looking for long burns this stove won't do it. i get 5 hours give or take mostly take a hour out of a load of splits. small fire box. once you get it crankin it heats like made. and will normally throw heat for 1.5 to 2 hours after the fire is out. i had it apart so i could rebuild it other than a few cast iron pieces inside the stove it is like having a fire inside a rock. i think it's 1 1/4 inch thick soapstone. for it to burn clean you got to run a thermostat on the center top stone at 450 to 500 if you run it at 550 the secondary burner works well. but you blow thru wood like it's going out of style

good luck
frank

i recently fixed one up as well so i'm pretty up on the internals. if it needs anything on the inside send me a PM and i can help you source parts.
due to their 'uniqueness' they also hold their value quite well so you could probably sell it and buy a brand new or slightly used modern efficient stove for what you get for it. now's the time of year to do it. that is, unless you got it from someone you know that's expecting you to use it.

Good Morning,

I just picked up a Hearthstone II in great shape except the rear inside shield is cracked. Does anyone know where the best place to purchase one and roughly how much it goes for. I am also looking for a manual. Any help would be awsome. I am trying to install the stove as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Daniel C.

danielc1548 said:
Good Morning,

I just picked up a Hearthstone II in great shape except the rear inside shield is cracked. Does anyone know where the best place to purchase one and roughly how much it goes for. I am also looking for a manual. Any help would be awsome. I am trying to install the stove as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Daniel C.

The stove is very easy to work on, after taking the 200lb top off of course :roll: Take the cracked pc to your local steel supplier and have them match the pc with some 1/4" or 3/8" steel plate. Shouldn't be more than $10-$20 ;-)

as for performance...for a 20 year old stove...excellent. I'm finding that after rebuilding the stove and sealing ALL of the stone joints with cement, I can get 6-7 hrs of burn with up to 8hrs of strong heat.
Let me know if you need the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.