Hearthstone Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler659

Jun 15, 2010
west tennessee
Question about the Mansfield stove.I had my stove and flue cleaned the other day.When the guy was cleaning the stove he removed the stove pipe, as you are looking down to the stove through the stove collar he pulled the insulation back to clean.Their is a gap of about a 1/2" that runs across the top of stove that is filled in with what looks like stove cement.Well it was cracked and broken up into small pieces that pulled out very easily.He replaced it with fiberglass rope by pushing it into the crack (I assume the fiberglass was the type that you use for the door gaskets).I did have more of a cresote build up than I had expected.He said the build up might have been caused by the furnace cement not giving the stove a seal.I am pretty sure the wood I burned wasn't the culprit as it was very dry wood.Was he correct in doing this?The stove is only about a year old.

I have not had this issue, and I am not exactly sure what gap you are speaking of but..... If it origanally had mortor in it, I can not see how putting a rope gasket in it could be harmful. I am thinking it was originally sealed with mortor now it is sealed with gasket. I have found that Hearthstone is very responsive to emails so I would suggest you fire an email off to them and see what they say. When you get an answer from them please post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.