Hearthstone Windsor Bay Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schnoodlemom

Jan 10, 2008
Western Massachusetts
Hello,

I believe this model is discontinued since it isn't on the Hearthstone web site. I have an opportunity to buy one on Craigslist for $200. The seller says it is in good condition. Does any one have any experience with these?

Thank you!

I've worked on a couple of em in the past. They seemed
like a nice unit, but a PITA to work on. IIRC, a BIG HEAVY cast
bay front, requiring removal of 4 long screws in order clean the
glass or to to access the innards. Tight working conditions for those
service techs with large hands...
You hafta let everything cool completely before working on it, or
it'll reverse vent on you when you fire it back up...
Probably more than you need to know, but that's my story &
I'm stickin to it!

schnoodlemom said:
Thank you! Would you recommend getting it, or something new? Is the big heavy front something that would be a pain for an average homeowner?

Happy New Year!

There are better ones on the market, but if you're driven by the price, go for it.
The co-axial liner kit will probably cost you $300, unless the seller has the original
& it's still in decent shape. The front will be a pain the first couple of times you have
to remove it, but you'll get the hang of it & generally, you'll only have to remove it once
a year if it's set up correctly. As a trained service tech, I wouldn't be against buying it
for that price, but I don't know what your skill sets are...

pretty good stove for that price
check the condition of the burner tubes(the earlier versions were made of poor metal and needed replacing more often than other HS stoves)

Status
Not open for further replies.