Heat exchanger placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpian5

Jun 23, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hello i have had a aqua therm boiler for 6 years and the boiler works fine but the heat exchanger was installed near the top of my old furnace near the fan and i have had overheating problems. I live in a mobile home and the installer told me this was the best way to install it. during certain times the safety device on the furnace will not let the blower motor on the gas furnace to shut off. I have also had to replace the blower motor 2 times already. my question is can i raise the whole gas furnace and put the heat exchanger there?

Are you asking if you can install the heat exchanger below the furnace? If that's what you're thinking I dare say that would make your problems worse, not better. This is assuming the hot air from your furnace is being blown out the top and cold air is being brought in at the bottom (which is typical as far as I know). Having the heat exchanger on the intake side of your furnace would likely make your blower motor fail just as much if not more than it is now due to the heat.

Is there any room to move it further away from the furnace but still on the output side of the furnace?

You will find that the HE needs to be at least 8 inches above the probe. (in most cases) If there is room simply move the HE up a bit to get the clearanc eneeded to keep the fan from kicking on. Placing the HE on the return side causes problems, the biggest is the dust buildup as the air has not been filtered and will plug up the HE.

I'm assuming you have forced hot air. You don't have an air conditioning exchanger in there too do you? Our boilerman at work said the heat exchanger had to be either above or below the cooling unit in order to work right, although I can't recall which is the preferred arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.