Heat exchanger size for hot tub

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7 person, 600g. hot tub that I'm installing outside in Fairbanks, Alaska. Winter temps down to -50. I certainly don't want to pay 18 cents kWh to heat it when I have a Greenwood wood boiler. I have built the surround out 2 inches with rigid insulation and have a 5" insulated cover so heat loss will be down to a minimum. The tub is 20 feet from the boiler manifold and I will be running some left over 1" insulated pex out to the tub and installing a 007 taco pump for circulation.

Anyone have any suggestion on heat exchanger size and any other ideas on how to make this work? Timers, aquastats?

tub1.jpg

tub2.jpg

I’ll try to get some pic’s for you tonight. I made a nofossil style heat exchanger from some 4” PVC . I used about 15’ of ½” copper pipe folded back and forth inside the PVC. I put it in series with my existing electric heater and disconnected the heating element. So now instead of turning on the 240 vac element it turns on a 120vac relay that in turn turns on the circulating pump. My heating system treats it like another zone.
I haven’t been through a winter yet but it seems to heat up the tub faster than the electric heater did. My tub is 7’ by 7’, 500-600 gallons

Status
Not open for further replies.