Heat power?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Are there any other items like the EcoFan, that can convert heat into power? I know there used to be a camping shower that could take the heat from an engine block, camp fire, etc and heat a satchel of water with it. I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there that can be powered by the heat of say...a wood stove...?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

In a word...no. So far as I can tell (although there may be a few folks here who would argue otherwise) the Eco-Fans pretty much just convert stove heat into entertainment/conversation. I've never heard anyone claim that they did a really effective job of distributing heat into the space/mixing/destratifying the air. A blower kit installed on the appliance is, in contrast, a very effective way of accomplishing this. Add to that a ceiling fan in the heated space, and you've got it goin' on. Now, if you want to move some of that heat someplace else...if it's vertically up with little restriction it'll find its own way, if it's horizontal or down, you've got a real challenge on your hands. Horizontal can oftentimes be accommodated by strategic placement of small fans close to the floor blowing cool air toward the heater. Down is a whole other ballgame...dunno quite how one would do that with any degree of effectiveness. Rick

fossil said:
In a word...no. So far as I can tell (although there may be a few folks here who would argue otherwise) the Eco-Fans pretty much just convert stove heat into entertainment/conversation. I've never heard anyone claim that they did a really effective job of distributing heat into the space/mixing/destratifying the air. A blower kit installed on the appliance is, in contrast, a very effective way of accomplishing this. Add to that a ceiling fan in the heated space, and you've got it goin' on. Now, if you want to move some of that heat someplace else...if it's vertically up with little restriction it'll find its own way, if it's horizontal or down, you've got a real challenge on your hands. Horizontal can oftentimes be accommodated by strategic placement of small fans close to the floor blowing cool air toward the heater. Down is a whole other ballgame...dunno quite how one would do that with any degree of effectiveness. Rick

Oh I didn't realize the EcoFan's weren't really effecitve. I've got ceiling fans both up and downstairs so that sounds like a plus. Plus I have a whole house fan although I'm not sure how that would play into heating in the winter vs. adding a breeze in the summer.

As far as moving heat down, I'm not sure how that'd be done either since heat naturally rises.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Yes there is a device that converts heat into power called a thermoelectric generator, but the efficiency is very low. I found this link on websearch but make no claims to their veracity

http://www.tegpower.com/products.html

Might be good to run a few LED christmas lights.

Also beware that ceiling fans have to be turned in the correct direction...which seems backwards at first. Blowing up in winter and down in summer. As for moving the air horizontally such as in our house where we have a hallway to the rear bedroom, a fan blowing the air TOWARDS the heat rather than trying to blow the heat towards the cooler air works wonders.

Backwoods Savage said:
a fan blowing the air TOWARDS the heat rather than trying to blow the heat towards the cooler air works wonders.

I've had zero luck with that. I'll do more tests this year, but, so far I have had more success with a fan behind the stove blowing out. (safe distance and all that jazz)

That L shaped stone barn has to be a challenge to heat evenly. With 3 stove power, do you even need a fan?

BeGreen said:
That L shaped stone barn has to be a challenge to heat evenly. With 3 stove power, do you even need a fan?

I will know in about 3-5 months (whenever the cold decides to really kick in). This will be the first year with three stoves. I have three fans ready if needed... and nine cords. I'm hoping I can get be with less than 8 cords.

With regard to the EcoFan (I own one)...........I'm sure that anything that moves, can generate "power" but..............the EcoFan (as you probably know), is not really powerful enough to generate any real energy of consequence.

It serves it's purpose however.

Brings me to another point actually, related to generating power................I can see myself changing my current wood-burning setup; or perhaps modifying it some, by putting in a wood-burning OUTDOOR setup, for heating my hot water..........rather than depending on my fuel-oil fired Hot Water Heater. Makes sense to reap as many benefits as possible, from burning wood.

-Soupy1957

Also beware that ceiling fans have to be turned in the correct direction...which seems backwards at first. Blowing up in winter and down in summer. As for moving the air horizontally such as in our house where we have a hallway to the rear bedroom, a fan blowing the air TOWARDS the heat rather than trying to blow the heat towards the cooler air works wonders.

Dennis,

For winter time, when you look directy up at your ceiling fan should the blades be moving clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks.

Denny

Look at the blades. Are they pushing air down or pulling it up? Counter should cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.