Heat resistant foil tape

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rakuz66

Feb 14, 2007
Maple Glen, Pa.
Is there any type of heat resistant foil tape I can get to wrap my seams where the SS liner meets the elbow coming out of the stove? Or what else can I use? thanks.

Are you using one of these to connect the flex liner to stove pipe? http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/pic.php?pic=verticalapplianceconnector-lg.jpg&cap=Appliance Connector

appliance_connector.jpg

Usually furnace cement is used to seal any air gaps between stove pipe connections, along w/ 3 screws per joint.

pen

Yes, but the liner install was crappy and they used a 90 adjustable elbow from the stove to liner, so that's what I need to use until I change things up. A 15 will work, but I'm afraid it will be short. So, for this year, I'm going with what was there. Would love to wrap the knuckles on the adjustable though.

Does that tape handle those very high temps? Most adhesives don't hold up well under those extremes.

The furnace cement will knock right out of the joint when you take it apart for cleaning. Just slather a little back on during reassembly.

pen

This is absolutely not the place for a patched repair. There is a serious risk of the patch failing. It could happen at any time, including when you are sleeping.

Metal duct tape is definitely not to be used here. That elbow will see temps up to 900-1000 degrees. Metal tape is rated at 180-200F tops. The gap is too large for any cement patch. Get the proper connector and elbow. This is not a big deal to fix correctly.

Good to hear. We want you to stick around and be safe. I'm also very curious to see how the stove behaves with the new welds.

Yep, me too. I decided to wait until next year to insulate the liner and install a block off plate. Too much going on right now. That's why I asked about cleaning the furnace cement off. I also have that piece attached to my SS liner that is in the pic a few posts above. That will go directly into my new elbow.

Attachments

• IMG_0722[1].jpg
    IMG_0722[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 511
Just as encouragement, a block-off plate really isn't that hard to do. I'd never done anything with sheet metal before I made mine and it went fine. Took a couple hours with tin snips, a straigt edge for bending & some silicon. Getting the stove/insert unhooked & out of the way is the biggest pain.

I bought a new stove top meter a couple of weeks ago and right there in the stove cement isle was Rutland brand stove tape for flues. It was a roll of metal tape that is supposed to be good enough for use on flues. I could just see someone using this stuff like a header wrap.

Thanks for that info Pen. I checked on Nashua data sheets as this is the most common HVAC brand. Haven't seen or used the 3M product. I still would not use it on a flue collar or pipe which can see over 600F+ daily.

From 3M's website:
• Performance range from -65°F to over 600°F (-54°C to over 316°C). Adhesive will
gradually thermoset at high temperatures. As it thermosets, the adhesive mass
becomes firm and gradually loses its pressure sensitivity but will continue to hold the
tape in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.