Heat season officially began

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
8-28-09 at 8PM in this upstate NY home.
5 splits burned, 4 cords to go.

Its been a strange year. From hot to cold on and off. We have burned twice in the last week but today was 85. Most nights are around 32f . All I can say is its good to have lots of dry wood. Wood is our only heat source. Its the winters here they can be deep snow and not to cold or cold -50 and not so much snow. Either way we always have lots of wood ready to fight back the cold.

I'm hoping official start here is at least a month or more off. No hurry here.

wow, August. I'm shooting for November.

but I won't make it.

Can I borrow some of that cool weather? It was over 100 (F) here today, w/ humidity in the single digits and more of the same is predicted tomorrow (actually the predicted high is only 99). Like I said on another post, it's Fire Season in So. Calif., but the fires are not in stoves or fireplaces.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Looks like rain and chilly today so I will build the first of three "break-in" fires.

Stove is prepared with two splits of seasoned ash, paper and kindling. Ceiling fans have been reversed to blow/suck air up. Will burn inside air for the first three fires and will use the OAK after that. Will open screened doors and one window in each room to remove stink from curing paint. Don't want to use the OAK yet because bees and other smallish unwanted critters are still active and can be past my 1/4" rodent screen to build nests inside the OAK airway.

Fall can arrive whenever it wants after that. Winter will arrive on its usual date as we revolve around the sun. I have ordered that about 12" of snow may arrive and cover the ground only from Dec. 25 through Jan.1 in the northern hemisphere with appropriate allowances made for those who travel much during that time of year. Snow is never allowed on my driveway. At midnight on January 1, 2010 warmish spring weather may resume. Black flies are never allowed. For the first four months of next year I have requested rain only during the hours of 7:00 pm through 4:00 am daily. I know my fantasies will be realized because I no longer consume alcohol, have never used illegal drugs and try to be nice and helpful to others.

Those in the southern hemispher can order any weather they want. They can even steal our black flies.

Happy burning.

John_M

Small fire in the stove last night and this morning. Frost predicted for tomorrow night.

Cold and damp vs warm and toasty. hmmmmm?
"Honey, fetch me dem dere logs from the woodpile."

Gas furnace running as I type. Was 68 degrees in the house when I awoke. Good weather for working on the firewood, no sweat.

I to want hold off as long as possible maybe a couple of night burns mid fall....

Burn on.......

why do you guys prefer to run the furnace instead of the woodstove this time of year?

woodjack said:
why do you guys prefer to run the furnace instead of the woodstove this time of year?

Easier to turn off after the chill is chased?

We didn't even hit 60 yesterday. No frost predicted but certainly a few cold nights coming. We wont' start the stove though as it won't be that cool in the house. We usually don't start with the fires until mid September.

Maybe a few small burns in the late October but hope to hold off until November at the earliest. October can be a very nice month with average high temps in the 60's. No need for heat in this month unless those high temps go south! November can be one of the wettest months in NE which keeps the natural heat from the sun to minimum.

woodjack said:
The furnace only need run for a few minutes in the morning. The woodstove would take too long to warm up the place and too long to stop heating.

That and I'm too lazy. For the few pennies of gas I burn, it's not worth the effort.

woodjack said:

96% efficiency NG furnace is cheap to run, don't have to get out of bed to warm up house, and starting a morning fire during the fall often results in an overheated house. I burn evenings only until it gets really cold.

woodjack said:

Yes to running oil burner in October and early November in the AM in the upstairs bedroom area. It's only a few cycles of heat in the AM and then off. If the evenings are chilly, it's a toss. The wood stove is in the Family room/Kitchen area and I can start a small fire and get heat in the family room fairly quick to raise the room temp and let it burn out overnight.

Okay, I let you guys be a bad influence on me and went with your logic of a quick blast from the furnace.

I turned up the thermostat to 68 to get the furnace going. A couple of minutes pass and nothing happens. A few more minutes pass and I still don't hear the forced air system doing its thing. I check the registers - no air blowing. The oil company was here just last week for my pre-season tune-up/maintenance. The genius mechanic must have screwed up my furnace. When I got downstairs it all made sense. I forgot that I disconnected all my ductwork last month to reroute it. My furnace room was nice and toasty.

woodjack said:
Okay, I let you guys be a bad influence on me and went with your logic of a quick blast from the furnace.

I turned up the thermostat to 68 to get the furnace going. A couple of minutes pass and nothing happens. A few more minutes pass and I still don't hear the forced air system doing its thing. I check the registers - no air blowing. The oil company was here just last week for my pre-season tune-up/maintenance. The genius mechanic must have screwed up my furnace. When I got downstairs it all made sense. I forgot that I disconnected all my ductwork last month to reroute it. My furnace room was nice and toasty.

Well-told. That sounds like something I would have done.

I'm going to try to wait until mid-September until starting my season, although it will be tempting to light a fire over the next day or
so with temps dipping down into the high 30's. By next week, we're supposed to be back up into the 70's.

I have had icy windshields a few times this month, and i have had one fire. Our burn season will start in about two weeks! I hope my new stove is installed in time, i just cleaned the flue yesterday in anticipation of installing my new rabbit feed burner. I dont want to get it dirty again with my wood stove.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I have had icy windshields a few times this month, and i have had one fire. Our burn season will start in about two weeks! I hope my new stove is installed in time, i just cleaned the flue yesterday in anticipation of installing my new rabbit feed burner. I dont want to get it dirty again with my wood stove.

Do you think you can trust your dealer to get it done on time? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.